Full system rollback software - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Searinox, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

I am currently awaiting software capable of doing what those two can - roll back the files of an entire partition to how they were at one given moment WITHOUT NEEDING TO DO A 1:1 COPY OF THE PARTITION. Something which uses up an incremental history. Something like RollBack RX or GoBack.

I have done some snooping around for various programs, but I couldn't tell too clearly which do what. Could you all just post a list for me.

ALSO. I'd like to know something about FD-ISR 3.2 which wasn't too clear for me. Does it do incremental backups with my partition as its baseline or does it need to make its own 1:1 copy of the partition it's protecting?

2. gwrfargo

gwrfargo Private E-2

You can Google these to compare one against another: RestoreIT, BootBack,
    RollBack Rx, DeepFreeze, HdGuard, EAZ-FIX, and a new one, BackOnTrack 2.7.
    Then there is the old one, Norton GoBack, that has been around for awhile.
    All of these work in different ways. Some use a lot of Hard Drive space. Some
    allow you to also back up the HD to an external device. Most don't.

3. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

Nero has a restore ability. I would recommend against norton go back though, it has caused problems for me like the com not shutting down without me pushing the button etc.

4. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

I have taken a look at BackOnTrack's specifications, from what I gather it can only make ONE snapshot even though it takes very little space for it. Am I right?

If so, then it's stupid that programs that eat your space such as FDISR can take multiple snaps but a space-conserving program like BOT only takes one?!

What about Nero BackItUp? Never used it, could someone tell me:
    -if it can load before windows
    -what it can back up
    -how much space it uses
    ?

5. gwrfargo

gwrfargo Private E-2

Yes, you are correct that BackOnTrack stores only one snapshot at a time, so creating a new snapshot, when computer is working well, will erase an old
    snapshot.
    I haven't had time to study Nero BackItUp. In fact, I had not heard of it
    until you mentioned it.

6. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

Nero can either make a backup on disks or on another partition. Using a boot disk such as Ultamite Boot Disk v3.5 or other you can select the backup partition and use it if you need to use it. It can compress disk space to use less space. It backs up anything or everything. You can even (I think) chose just the Windows system files with just a simple check box to make like an backup version of just Windows that is installed on Compaqs and HPs. I forgot to mention that Nero is shareware and depending on which version could be up to $80 US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds