Install New Fonts Missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cricket, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

OS>98SE>Build4.10.2222A>Primary Network Logon: Client for MS Networks on INTEL P-4 on newly Formatted HD. Attempting to setup Network poo-poo, including Internet Connection Sharing for two home PC's.
    After basic MB, GeForce, Sound etc. I installed some new fonts w/ "Install New Fonts" feature. All is well.
    I then installed Mozilla5.0>1.0.2, Plugins, then at Mozilla Site did an Online Install of Banner Blinds & MathML Editor, then downloaded some zipped Math Fonts. The Install New Fonts feature was missing!!!!
    I found a file in Fonts "DESKTOP.INI" that had not been there before. I viewed the file, it had two lines as follows:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    UICLSID=[BD84B380-8CA2-1069-AB1D-08000948F534]
    In Properties: Created & Modified 23 April, 1999

Help would very much be appreciated!!!! Thank you, in advance, for your time. With warmest regards, I remain
    Sincerely,
    Cricket
    ****Note**** This is my second attempt to post this, first one said I was not logged in, even thou I was. Sorry if it does later appear twice.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

That Desktop.ini is supposed to be there, and says exactly what it's supposed to say.

Come to think of it, I don't see Install New Fonts on my old 98 machine, either. You don't need Install New Fonts, anyway.

Unzip your Math fonts to another folder. All the font files should have font extensions (fon, ttf, ...). Copy the font files into Windows\Fonts. Reboot. They're installed.

Try it and see. (I'm assuming you know these are genuine font files and that your source is a reliable source. You're not going to copy anything that might be garbage into your Windows folder, are you? Good. I didn't think so.)

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Actually there is an Install New Fonts option in Windows 98. Open the Control Panel, select Fonts then under the file menu there is Install New Font...

4. Wisewiz

Not there, but no problem!

Wellsir, Max, that's exactly where I looked, and that's exactly where there ain't no such animal. First I opened the Fonts folder directly in Explorer and checked the context menus and the File menu, and then I went in through the CP to Fonts and the File menu. Nada.

That's exactly what the man was complaining about. I think I remember having it once upon a time, but then again, my memory isn't what it used to be. Could be I'm just remembering Win95.

'Course mebbe Cricket and I installed sumthing that wiped that menu item. Dunno. But I have no probs with fonts on the old 98 machine: put 'em in the Fonts folder, they're installed. Move 'em out (rollin', rollin' rollin'; keep them dogies rollin', ...), and they're UNinstalled. I've got about 500 in a folder called C:\TTFs\, and they're all UNinstalled and ready for occasional use, and I've got about 90 in Windows\Fonts\, and they're all installed and ready for instant use.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I don't have 9x, but isn't there a font icon in the control panel?

maybe thats where you can install new fonts.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

That's odd. Last time I worked on a 98 machine I installed some fonts through Control Panel in that very way, IIRC. :confused:

Good thing copying the font files to the fonts folder also works!

[edit] Halo's link explains it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  8. Wisewiz

Halo, thanks for the MSKB link. The folder attributes had been reset by something, probably some font software or other I had for about two minutes way back when and have long forgotten. The fix is completely unnecessary, since the ultra-complicated font-installation process I suggested to Cricket works every time. ... :p ... but the fix is so easy I tried it and I now have the menu item back where it belongs.

And it's now much later in the day, so we may hope that Adrynalyne is awake now:
    :p Heeheehee.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Phew! cheers Wisewiz, I just wanted to save another kitten ;)

now we just need Cricket to follow the instructions and see if he/she gets the menu back.

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Ah, I seem to have taken Cricket's and your first response in context together and missed the bit Cricket lost his install fonts menu option. It seems that Halo's link provides a solution and you got your menu item back, just need to hear from Cricket.

11. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

Thank you, Wisewiz!

Thank you, Wisewiz! I have been down w/ the flu since my posting. I will proceed w/ your method tonight.
    Guess the Install New Fonts is a use once only feature of billy gates!
    The Math Fonts are from a reliable source, I feel, as it was a Link at Mozilla.

Wisewiz, your Signature is truly interesting! My Grandfather had a saying that that you may appreciate. "You don't know what you don't know!"

Thank you for your response.
    Cricket

12. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

Thank you, Maxwell!

Thank you, Maxwell! Yes it was at that very location. I used it to insatall some fonts. After that I installed my Mozilla>Plugins>Banner Blinds>MathML Editor, then Downloaded some zipped Math Fonts. When I unpacked the fonts w/ WinZip, I returned to Control Panel>Fonts>File only to find "Install New Fonts" was missing! billy gates took it back, I am sure.

I will try the Copy|Drag&Drop feature tonight. I have been down w/ the flu since my posting.
    Cricket

13. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

Thank you, Halo!

Halo, Cricket [she] will attempt to follow the instructions. If billy gates can take, I guess he can also give it back.
    I am about ready to take a real hard look at IBM/Linux!
    Thank you Halo for your response.
    Cricket

14. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

Thank you, Adrynalyne!

Thank you, Adrynalyne!

I did use that method, Control Panel>Fonts>File>Install New Fonts, but after that one use it was gone!
    You said that you don't have 9x, soooo do you use Linux?
    Cricket

15. Cricket

Cricket Private E-2

Thank you, alanc!

Thank you, alanc! I thought I had lost Administrator rights in my course of setup for Network w/ ICSharing poo-poo, guess not. At least there is a work-around for installing fonts. It seems 98SE is all about work-arounds! I had 2000 Pro, but fell back to 98SE. Now I am almost ready to fall back to 95 w/ USB support, or go forward to IBM/Linux!
    Thank you for your input.
    Cricket

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Kittens around the world rejoiced ;)

Sorry, I would contribute more to this thread, but I don't know squat about 9x anymore.

17. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Ummm, I wouldn't recommend going back to 95, 98 beats it hands down.

Why did you ditch 2k? You'd be better off with that with your hardware, IMO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds