Hard Disk Error at Startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misterbojangles, Jan 7, 2009.

1. misterbojangles

misterbojangles Private E-2

My home PC (not this one) is not starting up. I get the message:

'Non-system Disk or disk error
    replace and strike any key'

I presumed this was something to do with the CD Drive which I had set as the primary boot device to help with another problem. I've knocked it down the list on the Startup F10-Options menu, but when I re-boot it does the same.

I did get a message stating 'HP UNI PXE-s - blah-blah- Copyright-Blah-Blah-CLIENT MAC ADDR-bla-blah' but then got the non-system disk message again.

I re-booted and went into the IDE DPS Self Test option on the F10-Options menu and got the message:

'Test Failed. Drive Replacement recommended
    Completion Code: 15
    Drive Information:.............'

Assuming the worst and I need to replace the hard drive, what can I do about all the stuff (photos, i-tunes, files, etc) on the hard drive? The files are much more of a concern than the actual drive itself.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Often you can connect a bad HD to your computer as the slave/secondary drive and retrieve files from it. Not always but definitely worth a try as a first step.

So get a new HD and put Windows on it. Then take the old HD and connect it as slave. This involves moving the jumper on the back of the old drive to slave position. There is usually a label on the drive or markings above the jumper to show slave position. Connect the drive to the middle connector of the data cable. Restart Windows and with a little luck the old drive will show up in My Computer and you can copy files from it.

As the drive warms up it will become more unstable so you may have to turn the PC off and wait a few hours in between attempts to copy data.

3. misterbojangles

Thank you very much - maybe not so much stress afterall.

I left the pc all morning unplugged, and actually got it going. I presume your comment about the drive warming up is significant here.

So, i need to back up everything - better go and buy a stack of CD's.

Now I have the drive working - is it likely it will fail again, and should i replace it as a matter of prudence?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Absolutely, replace it. You only get so many normal startups once they begin going.

Because your OS starts from that drive it would be wise to get the new drive and install Windows so you will be able to start the computer. Once the data necessary to start the OS from this drive is permanently corrupted you won't be able to boot.

5. misterbojangles

Thank you. I shall speak to my supplier.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds