NV4_DISP error

Discussion in 'Software' started by sipncruz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. sipncruz

sipncruz Private E-2

I play world of warcraft when I logon the video gets all crazy then finally freezez up if I wait long enough I get the infamous blue screen of death that says NV4_DISP error I am not able to see the rest it doesnt last that long sometimes it locks up the whole pc and i have to hit the power button and restart the whole thing. I have a HP pavilion dv9000 with a nvidia geforcego 7600 video card. I have downloaded the latest video drivers and have the game settings set to the lowest possible. I dont know what to do next.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This is more of a driver issue, so moved it to drivers so that if my below fix doesnt work others that deal in driver issues can jump in with other ideas.

What I would do is to download and install Driver Sweeper (BUT do not run it yet) download the lastest Nvidia Driver for your Windows version

for Windows XP
    for Windows Vista
    for Windows 7

again dont install yet.

Use Add/Remove and unsinstall your Nvidia Graphics Driver, then reboot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and then run Driver Sweeper to remove any Nvidia Graphics and Physx driver.

Then install the Nvidia driver you downloaded earlier and once installed if not prompted to reboot, reboot into normal mode.

3. sipncruz

sipncruz Private E-2

I did what was suggested and it still has issues not sure if the video is going out. This is also on a laptop. I went into safe mode and used the driver sweeper but do i have to restart and install the drivers in normal mode? it says it cant find drivers for my installed hardware. In the game it gets all blocky and its like everything has a line coming off it. Not sure else how to explain it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes on reboot if its not allowing you too in safe mode, and I'll hold hands up as I just didnt see you posted laptops make and model, which helps as install the driver from HP here (as laptop gfx drivers are different from the main desktop ones) so sorry on that as that is why it couldnt find the hardware.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If Halo's recent post above doesn't help, please post the exact model number. The dv9000 series has over 140 different models. You can find the exact model number on a small white sticker on the bottom of the laptop; the top line on this sticker will have "dv9000" on it; the bottom line should have something like "dv9076ea" or "dv9023us". This is the number we need. Also, there are known issues with the nVidia chips in the dv9000 and dv6000 series and HP has been ignoring this and pretending that no issue exists. Check these articles for info:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/faulty-nvidia-c/
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137385/nvidia-bad-bumps-worse
    .... and the web site devoted to the HP/nVidia "cover up" can be found here: http://www.hplies.com
    I'm not trying to scare you, or make you think that you have been hoodwinked or that something much more serious is going on, I just thought that as an HP dv9000 series owner with an nVidia video chip, that you should be aware of what might possibly be happening. It is most likely a minor driver problem, but if not. . . .
    Good luck.

6. sipncruz

sipncruz Private E-2

Here is my model dv9040(RG335UAR) I am seeing more and more posts about defective NVIDIA chips. was gonna put in a couple screen grabs but cant seem to do it.

7. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi sipncruz,

You may want to install the original video drivers that came with the card as this happened to me the other day on a clients computer.

I updated the drivers and the problem started, I ended up using the rollback feature in the video card properties in Windows control panel/display applet.

also, acquire the monitor drivers that came with the monitor and install those too.

Techsent

8. sipncruz

sipncruz Private E-2

It's a laptop and i have totally restored the pc back to factory. I am thinking it is a hardware malfunction.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds