Start Up Problems after Chkdsk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hiptolick, Jan 11, 2013.

1. hiptolick

hiptolick Private E-2

Windows XP box with SP3.
    Two drives.
    The secondary drive started making funny noises then froze up the box. I had to do a hardboot. When it came back up I tried copying files off the secondary drive but got the cyclical redundancy check so decided to run chkdsk /r on the secondary drive. 30 hours later after completing stage 4 it could not complete stage 5 due giving me an insufficient amount of space on disk error to fix files iwth capitals. So, I did a reboot but the box wouldn't come back up saying failed to boot, so I went into safe mode - which took forever. I could hear the secondary drive cranking away. Anyway, after the boot into safe mode I tried a restart and am having the same issues. Should I just turn the box off, uninstall the secondary drive (which has data I need) and try to restart and maybe try and mount the secondary drive via usb? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. hiptolick

hiptolick Private E-2

Here's an update. After the safe boot, I did a restart but it won't. It's stuck at the "Intel" splash screen and has been for 15 minutes. I shudder and cringe at doing power down, but I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. If I did do a power down I'm guessing then to just take the offending drive and try and do a boot. Ideas....Sweating bullets on this one.

3. hiptolick

hiptolick Private E-2

Ok been almost 45 minutes from the restart after the safe mode boot and still stuck. I'm thinking I have no alternatives other then to power it down hard, remove the secondary drive and hope it comes back up with a little bit of help from the divine one.

4. hiptolick

hiptolick Private E-2

Talking to myself here and when someone reads with some suggestions chime in please. Anyway, I powered down hard, removed the cover and the offending drive and the box came back up no issues. Nice and clean and faster snot. Now what to do with the offending drive and maybe recover it.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. hiptolick

hiptolick Private E-2

Ok here's an update and thank you falconattack for your reply, but need to give a little bit more background.
    Background_ the offending drive was actually partioned into two partitions and when I brought it back up it recoginzed the 2nd partion no problem (I did not run chckdsk on this partion). However though it does recognize the partition that I ran chkdsk on when I click on it windows says, drive is not formatted do you want to format - which I don't I want to recover the data. So, going to try a data recovery program I haven't used in years and see if I can actually see the files and recover them. Update coming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds