Auslogics Registry Cleaner 3.4.2.0 forcing installation of Conduit software

Discussion in 'Software' started by KGHN, Jan 25, 2014.

1. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

I have been using and enjoying Auslogics Registry Cleaner for several months. I picked up the new version 3.4.2.0 from Major Geeks a couple of days ago. When I tried to install it today, the installer tried to force Conduit software, which I believe to be malware or at least unwanted, onto my XP machine. It had several choices for Conduit installation, none of which were to not install it. The user agreement has a new section, too, that seems to relate to the new *heh* feature. I used Windows Task Manager to force the installer down after Registry Cleaner was installed, and before Conduit was installed. I am aghast. Major Geeks, please check into this. This is the first time I found Major Geeks' software library to be untrustworthy.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I just downloaded and installed it.

No Conduit software. You have to do a custom installation and uncheck Conduit.

[​IMG]

3. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

Doh! Thanks, Adrynalyne. I was confused by the radio buttons and the checkbox for "save your old settings". I thought it was required to check at least one box. Apparently not true - thank you very much for pointing out how to avoid Conduit. I have run into Conduit on several friends' machines and it's not easy to uninstall. I hope Auslogics is making a bunch of money from them, they deserve it, but it makes me trust them less.

I wish they had a radio button for "skip installation". That would make it much clearer.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There is a sticky at the top of this forum about third party programs and toolbars. If you had read it, or rather the link in the lead post, it would have saved your embarrassment ;)

5. KGHN

KGHN Private E-2

New SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) when picking up utilities from MG

Aha! I didn't scroll down Major Geeks' download page, and thus missed seeing the new *red* warning:
    "This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out. For more information:"...

Hey, everyone, if you, like me, bookmark your favorite downloads from MG, be sure to scroll down the page to see if there is a (possibly new) warning on the latest version. The MG info page about optional 3rd party / toolbars:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/third_party_programs_and_toolbars_what_you_need_to_know.html
    did help me understand how to opt out. The third-party-program "vendors" don't always make it obvious.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds