Upon Installing Xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ragweed, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Ragweed

Ragweed Private E-2

Something I find strange. I just formated my HD and installed xp home, after installing xp I installed the virus programs that you suggest and use on this site, the first one ran and found 2 trojan and one other virus on my cp. I dont understand how this is possible when the only site i visited was this one and perhaps microsoft for a few updates. Any idea's, ive since installed the other 2 that this site recommends, and same thing they find them too. The trojans are in windows/system32 folder and are exe files. Now this has me concerned since the main reason i formatted was to get rid of any viruses that i had. Any ideas/help?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You should be throwing up a firewall as soon as XP is installed, and running.

Then, and only then, hook up to the net.

Then get a good antivirus and your updates.

The problem won't happen again unless you are installing stuff from infected media.

3. Ragweed

Ragweed Private E-2

Oh, Dam, well glad to know anyways, so microsoft's website has viruses and or so does this one? is that what your saying? there the only two places i have been since installation.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you need to only be connected to the internet. MSBLAST and SASSER take advantage of a vulnerability in the OS with out user intervention.. sad, but true. That is why we suggest SP2 installs on clean installs without network connection.

5. Ragweed

Ragweed Private E-2

How do I do a sp2 install without connecting to microsoft?

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

7. Ragweed

Ragweed Private E-2

So I see, but 4 weeks delivery min. that sucks, how about I burn it onto a cd from another cp? that should work right?

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes that will work...

9. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

Ragweed:

It only took ~ 1-1/2 weeks for the MS SP CD to arrive here in canada.

You can burn SP2 to a disc if you like.
    Get it here:
    WinXP SP2 Manual Download/Off-line Installer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Best would be to do this with it (either the downloaded file or the file from the SP2 disc):
    WinXP SP2 Slipstreaming http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

A handy installation guide:
    WinXP Clean Install http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Happy trails,

10. Ragweed

Ragweed Private E-2

Perfect, Thankyou Very Much.

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Shipping varies,
    I got my CD in 3 days, (business days).
    My wife ordered one took about a week.

12. mtz1of4

mtz1of4 Private E-2

SP2 works OK but I'ld grab Zone alarm Free before I 'ld use XP's basic Firewall.

Download the free one from them and copy it to a CD or usb drive or something and install it after sp2 but definitely BEFORE connecting to internet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds