Memory in pairs....................

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strange1, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

I have a Dell 4600 running XP. 512 RAM (2/256 modules). I want to expand it to 1 Gig. Can I just add a 512 module (correct one, of course)? I believe 1 gig is max for my sys. Manual states I "should" add in pairs. Manual also notes that if not added in pairs, may affect optimum performance. What say the more experienced users/techs here. I have the 512 module (was given to me by a well meaning friend). It is new and of the proper type.
    Thanks

Jack

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

i'm assuming you got the computer within the past year or so.

from what i can understand, you have dual channel ddr in your computer. this means that the 2 256 sticks work together to speed up the ram to a theoretical 2x the speed. when you add the 512 in, you won't be able to have the 2 256's piggy back off each other because the speed optimization only works with pairs. so you'll either want another 2 256 sticks or 2 512 sticks.

it doesn't hurt to try the single 512 stick on. if you don't like it, then just take it out. if you find it better than having only 512mb ram, then leave it in and you won't be sorry.

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks Strogg. I have it in now and really don't see any diff in speeds so far. Any way I can measure speeds.

Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds