Internet Remote dektop recommendations

Discussion in 'Software' started by collinsl, Nov 25, 2009.

1. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi all, :wave

What free software do you recommend I use for remote desktop over the internet?

Please note it has to be free.

It can be as technical as necessary, just as long as I get a graphical interface at the end of it.

Thanks,
    collinsl

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Colinsl

What about TightVNC or TeamViewer as two thoughts.

Was thinking of one I have used for multiple meetings in Mikogo and it allows remote desktop, so check it out for features to see if it may do what you want.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Thanks, will give them a try.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

logmein.com
    Just create an account, install the free software on any computer you want remote access to, and good to go.

use it all the time. web based and free. or you can buy pro versions and whatnot that allow you to transfer files.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Thanks all, have now started using TeamViewer.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you using v4 or the v5 beta? My only criticism of v4 is that, unlike Radmin, the view scaling options can't always give me a proper full screen view of the server. Was wondering if the beta has rectified this.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I am using the v5 beta, as it is the one linked by MajorGeeks.

The full screen option in v5 depends on the screen resolution you pick in the "view" menu when connected. As far as I can tell from my limited use (only got it this morning) if you choose the correct screen resolution it should work fine.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've only been using it (v4) myself for a couple of days, so still getting used to it. I'm only interested in LAN connections ATM, and as you say, by getting both the screen res and the scaling right I can now get full screen for the connections I want to make.

I've long used Radmin for this, but I've only got a single licence so TeamViewer is proving useful here where there are several computers.

9. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I am finding it very useful as it works over port 80, so it will get through all firewalls that allow normal web traffic. I also like the file sharing feature a lot as it allows for quick and simple sharing of documents over the web or licked down network with no worry about firewalls blocking file sharing ports or anything like that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds