Freezing Still

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kryptic06, Jan 6, 2007.

1. kryptic06

kryptic06 Private E-2

Hey there to anyone that reads this. I am so sick and tired because my computer freezes up. All I do is turn it on and then, it just freezes, no warnings, no nothing. I am not sure what is wrong with this computer. I have installed and uninstalled my AGP card and it's relevant drivers, I have reinstalled Windows from scratch and it still freezes, even when I just turn on my computer it does it too. Can anyone help me? I am at whits end with this freezing. The good news is that I am getting a new motherboard and processor soon so that means that it will be more updated. Is it because the BUS speed of my AGP card is 8x/4x? Are there any programs that can identify what is making my computer freeze? Such as incompatible programs or hardware? Please help, I am desperate to know why my computer is starting to play up.

Thanks

2. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

The most usual cause for freezing is an inefficient PSU. Can you post the system specs?

3. kryptic06

kryptic06 Private E-2

Thanks Sailor. I thought that it may have been my PSU too, but it is 450Watts of power. Anyway here are my specs:
    Time of this report: 1/7/2007, 07:49:34
    Machine name: SATAN
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: 7VKML
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.3GHz
    Memory: 768MB RAM
    Page File: 279MB used, 1550MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    ------------------------
    Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    ------------------------
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 70.4 GB
    Total Space: 76.3 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: ST3802110A

Drive: D:
    Free Space: 41.3 GB
    Total Space: 50.4 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD600BB-00JHA0

Drive: E:
    Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.2180 (English), 8/4/2004 16:59:52, 49536 bytes

Drive: F:
    Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.2180 (English), 8/4/2004 16:59:52, 49536 bytes

4. kryptic06

kryptic06 Private E-2

As you can see. I have 2 Hard Drives. C is 80Gb and D is 60Gb but I am sure that they are all running fine. Is it because I may not be getting enough ventilation into the tower? I have put turned on my fan near the Tower so I know that there is air getting into the computer.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I see you have 768megs of RAM. Is that 3 x 256 or 1 x 256 + 1 x 512?

It doesn't really matter, but have you tried running it with only 1 stick at a time. Check each stick out individually in position 1, then maybe 2 sticks, then 3 (if 3).

I am sure you can work out the combinations.
    Just mark each stick 1,2 and 3. And write down each combination that you try.;)

It may be a bad stick of Ram, and then again it may not. confused
    Hope this may help. Bazza

6. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Leave your computer turned off for 10 minutes, then on re-start check the time it takes for your first freeze-up. Then turn it off and disconnect one of your 12Volt loads. If your PSU has a "weak" 12Volt rail, you could take some load off by disconnecting the DVD writer or the DVD rom drive( or both). Then after 10 minutes, re-start and once again note the time before freeze-up. If you get a longer running time ( or conceivably no freezing) then you probably have a failing PSU. :)

7. kryptic06

kryptic06 Private E-2

Hello there to those computer geniuses out there. In regards to the PSU, I had a 450watt PSU which I reccently changed to a smaller power source as I too thought that it may have been the power source. In regards to the RAM, I have 1x256Mb and 1x512Mb of RAM, plus my AGP card is a 256Mb Card but it gives me a little more RAM to play with. Initially, when I start my computer, where is says NVRAM, is says 756Mb without the card, then it goes to 768 with the card. I do have another 256Mb RAM stick here somewhere but I do not have another 512Mb, damn it. Well, in the next few days or so, I am getting a new motherboard with a Sempron 166Mhz Processor that I was told that it can be overclocked to about 300Mhz, is that true? I dunno. I am not going to speak too soon, but it seems that it may be the PSU because it seems to holding up better than the 450 Watts. If I am not mistaken, I think that this PSU is only 350 Watts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds