computer will not boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Motherbird, May 10, 2004.

1. Motherbird

Motherbird Private E-2

Hello, I have really messed my computer up. It will not boot up Windows 98. It will get to a C: prompt but I can't get it past that. Can someone walk me through to get me to my desk top? I tried uninstalling 98 and reinstalling it and this is where it has gotten. I am not that great with a computer I only know a little. Please help!

2. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

Hi motherbird. 1st thing is to change your boot set up in your bios.

If your booting from a floppy you need to set 1st boot device to floppy and

if your booting from the windows disk your need to set 1st boot device cdrom

3. Motherbird

Motherbird Private E-2

Did that

I'm still only getting to a c: prompt. What do I type in?

4. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

Try D:\setup

5. Motherbird

Motherbird Private E-2

Nope, says CDR101 Not redaing drive D

6. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

Hi Motherbird, being fairly new to MG myself and very new to windows machines I may or may not be able to assist. Welcome to the board.

I have a couple questions though. Do you need to save any info on your computer?
    Do you have a boot disk 3.5 floppy for the windows 98?
    And what originally happened tp cause you to uninstall reinstall 98?

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good questions Magoo........... and ones well worth waiting for the answer before any other steps are tried.

How did you uninstall 98? and when re-installing did you get all of the setup screens and serial number entering screen?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds