how do i hook up internet on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yoitsjamie, Dec 12, 2004.

1. yoitsjamie

yoitsjamie Private E-2

ok im getting a laptop for christmas and i plugged it in to see if it works and everything works except for the internet. i have sbc yahoo dsl and i have a wireless router for this computer i'm on now. how do i set it up to make my internet work on my laptop? do i have to intall something, and i dont want to pay a price to hook up two computers.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. yoitsjamie

yoitsjamie Private E-2

i have no idea what this is saying.

The following pertains to External Cable/DSL Modems. If you have an Internal Cable/DSL Modem, you are "out of luck", and sharing is a more complex story.

neone can help me and explain it because i'm kinda slow.

4. RickM

RickM Private First Class

One thing is not to assume your new laptop is setup for the internet. What is your os on the laptop W2K/XP/ME,, etc. If your DSL provider uses DHCP you need to see if you ar setup for it, if not you will need to configure a static IP and sebnet, and DNS provided by your provider. If you are only allowed 1 IP by your provider, we can NAT. But first let look at the basics..

5. Ricko0

Ricko0 Private E-2

something you might want to look at... some DSL providers use a proxy server to conect. Look in the LAN settings for internet properties and see if the computer that can connect has a proxy server enabled. If it does, copy the info on to the laptop. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds