laptop won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by natureboy92135, Jul 30, 2004.

1. natureboy92135

natureboy92135 Private E-2

I've got a Dell Inspiron 600m that is out of warranty by like 5 minutes and it is having problems. It will always start eventually but it can take 5, 10, 20 minutes of repeatedly pressing power key. It does this when I am using batteries or outlet power. It runs fine once it is booted up and the only other problem is that it takes excessively long to shut down (5-7 minutes usually). It sometimes seems to help if I take out all the batteries and disconnect power and then reconnect everything.

2. natureboy92135

natureboy92135 Private E-2

P.S. No lights, no fan, no nada.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

How old are the batteries? What specs and OS for the DELL. How old is it. Do you know anyone that you could swop batteries with? My Gateway wouldn't run on power with or without the battery when the battery was dead/dying. Bazza
    Can you get the battery/batteries tested at a computer shop/batteryshop? Baz

===

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Agree,,have a gateway with same problem,,batt discharged would not start,,,what else is troubling is the delayed bootdown speed,,,,,,needs to be addressed,,,did you chek your PC for spyware,,,,or adware,,,,the problems could be related !!!!!

5. bigbazza

Same questions for you too, Glenn. How old is your laptop, what model Gateway, what OS, etc. maybe I can help. Bazza

===

6. Chicoman

Chicoman Private E-2

Hey BigBazza,
    I would love to hear if you solved your problem. My gateway laptop will not boot but the fan kicks on and will run indefinately. Thanks

7. bigbazza

Chicoman, this an old thread. I was trying to help someone out. I solved my battery problems by buying a new battery. Expensive, here in OZ. Old one lasted over 3 years. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds