MajorGeeks.Com Adds 2 (Now 3) New FTP Servers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You may have noticed a couple of new download links appearing on the download pages recently. This is because we have added 2 more FTP servers in the past month to keep up with growth and offer you more download options.

You may now choose, in most cases, from the Authors official link, PlanetMirror in Australia and now three Majorgeeks.com file servers located in the United States in Georgia, Florida and Texas. These server primarily come in handy so we can offer official downloads of programs on behalf of authors who can not, or would rather not, handle the bandwidth of their very popular files, for example Ad-Aware and 3DMark. It also allows us to keep obsolete files online that you can no longer find anywhere else.

We hope you enjoy the difference.

2. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

Re: MajorGeeks.Com Adds 2 New FTP Servers

How about a bit torrent link added to help you guys out with the bandwidth? Would help out on the server loads.

3. Major Attitude

I would like it more if people grab the concept of sharing ;) A large majority do not share and many are just afraid to leave it running. I often have to wait forever for some files on there. Our servers should offer most US\Canadian readers between 50 kb\sec and often times 10 times that speed.

THAT SAID, Jim is talking to the authors about that possibility of a twist on BitTorrent that we could use here and other websites could as well. We want to be able to use all of our servers as well as other Bittorrent links to guarantee you get the file even if no one else is online sharing it. So, if no one has the file, it will connect to all available servers here for download.

We would love to give the readers here that as another option and I think its a sweet idea.

4. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

GREAT NEWS MA, ;) ,,thanks much for the efforts,,I try to go to the authors site first to save you guys bandwith,,,also,,,I grab files from your server at over 300k a sec usually,,,Blazing fast ,,,Thanks again,,,Glenn,,, :) :)

5. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Thank you!!

6. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

post 5555 cool beans LOL

7. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

5555? Crimeny, I need to get out more.

8. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

MA just a quick STAT for ya,,,on my home line T1 I was able to pull 800+k a sec,,,off your florida server,,,ps im in FL,,just a FYI note,,,EXCELLENT !!!!!

small file may even increase if larger file !!! Glenn

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Major Attitude

Sweet. As an update, we are adding a new server probably today and are in talks with BitTorrent about the above mentioned idea. If it all works out, that would give you an average choice of 7 download locations, Author, PlanetMirror, 4 MajorGeeks ftps's and Bit Torrent.

10. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

glenn, quit showin off your t1 line god damn it! its not fair to the rest of us on regular dsl lines and even the brave souls on the dial up connections! :p btw, thats awesome that you guys have another server, hopefully it can speed up things since the servers wont be as congested. even thought i was getting some good speeds on the other ones lol.

11. Major Attitude

t1? What a slug. Im sucking 6 megs now with Road Runner premium. ;)

12. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

pff... my cable does 500+ kB/s :p

they need to get the 50mbps downstream tests up and running so I can join in :D

13. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL I told ya it would ramp up with a larger file LOLOL :rolleyes: ,,,it was just a blurp of a file I caught hehehe :p :p :p LOL

14. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

damnit glenn, you need to send some of that bandwidth over here to me.

eric

15. Major Attitude

Why? A t1 is what, 1.4 megs right Glenn? Im getting 6 meg downloads with Road Runner at a fraction of the cost. Ask your local cable company if they have it. Downside is uploads still suck.

16. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

MA the T1 is also a partial T2,,so I exceed the 1.5 mark,,usually closer to 3mg up and down,,,,at peak higher,,,4-5 max but steady 3,,,,not out of pocket for me ,,,employer paid,,,so im not complaining LOL,,,,local bellsouth ultra has 3megDL 384 up,,,,,,,yes the up is weak ,,,,bet those still on dialup are cursing at us now LOLOL...Glenn,,,

17. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

mines good enough for me, decent download and decent upload for working on those sites. i'm happy with it. expecially since i'm only 16 and got my parents to pay for cable internet even though only i use the computer. (not sure where i got my love for computers, no body else in my family has that).

eric

18. Major Attitude

I thought you would have good uploads though, what are you getting?

19. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

3+ steady,,,and if I call my server in about a hour they can open a full 6 megs both ways,,,,thats if I find my workload necessary for the EXTREAM speed,,,,will email you for what and why I have this line,,,GK

20. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

you can call them and get a full 6 megs both ways? glenn how would you like to adopt a 16 year geek from texas? ;)

eric

21. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL your welcome anytime eric,,,extra plate at the table,,,GK

22. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Is BitTorrent also for dial-up users?
    Seems like their contribution "upstream" would be really lacking?
    Just curious

23. Major Attitude

Yes, its for anyone, obviously dial up is going to be a lot less helpful.

24. Major Attitude

I see Jim setup server #4. The servers were getting pretty bogged down so we added yet another. 4 MajorGeeks servers, Author and Planet Mirror. Hopefully we pull off this Bittorrent thing and that should hold us for a bit....

25. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Actually, it wasn't Jim ;). Server #4 is also the first MajorGeeks file server running Linux Kernel 2.6.

26. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Phillipp i'm getting a 404 page not found on the 4 files I have tried off server #4

27. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Fixed. This was a small permission problem.

28. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers Philipp for the update! :) great work behind the scenes as usuall!

29. Major Attitude

Yeah, Phillip is pretty damn handy to have around. Saves us hours of tinkering with them servers. Sorry bout the Jim thing everyone knows its all about you and me anyhow Phillip ;)

30. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

So you will be adding a Bittorent link that also has a server tied into the link to assure there is always a seed like filerush.com does theirs? If you pull this off it should make download availability excellant. And we will save you some bandwidth as well. ;)

31. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

BT would be cool, cause I've got a whole bunch of your files on HD, which would be a godsend for people in the UK

32. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I think filerush just seeds the torrents off of their own server. When I connected to a torrent on their site an ip that seems to be theirs immediately started sharing with me. I tried with another torrent, the same IP immediately connected to me and started sharing it.

33. Major Attitude

That is the plan, yes. Frankly, BitTorrent is just a damn cool geeky way to do things, it just lacks in popularity as far as getting large files. I think a pile of MajorGeeks would work well though. What we could do is add all of our own servers, plus all connected users. Times like the 3dMark release really slow us down hard. It hosed all 5 FTP servers immediately upon release.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds