Halt and Catch Fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Jun 30, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

This is a new show that just started on AMC. Not sure how that works outside the US or if you can see it.

I was just wondering if anyone had caught it? It's really well done and a total geek show.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Just as an aside, I'm sure some of you know this, but I had never heard of the term:

from wiki

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I'd not heard of this term before, either . . . that's creepy to think about.

I wonder if this kind of thing is what DEP (Data Execution Prevention) helps prevent? Most CPU's support hardware DEP now.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Thanks for the info Laura.
    Although it may not catch fire I often wonder if malware will be written to stress our computers to the max causing hardware failures.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/218482405

SC2 was not malware but a ton of people lost video cards due to dust or overclocking. SC2 programmers forgot to limit the framerates in some parts of the program. I heard my fans ramp up on my GPU and exited SC2 before I did any damage, but if you were not paying attention or did not know the danger....

I see no reason malware could not do a Prime 95 type stress on your computer. Good thing they want control, not destruction.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds