New Idea For Comp Buyers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stubby, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Well, at least it's a new idea to me!! If you buy a 'puter from this company they will exchange it every 2 years for the newest one available at NO charge. Even if there is nothing wrong with it, just send it back and exchange for the newest one. IMHO, it sounds too good to be true, but then again, what they charge for their top-of-the-line model, well who knows?? http://www.trinarypc.com/ I'll give 'em one thing, they do look good!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Too good to be true,they say you'll save $15,000 over 9 years,probably if they are still there in nine years,sounds like a pyramid scheme everyone puts their money in the pot and hopes for a return later on,even if you sold your system for $2,000 every 2 years that's still $9,000 out of thin air.

Who came up with this business model an eighteen year old gamer?:-D Its like one of those things you think you can do before you add in all the over heads of a business.

If its legit I hope I eat my words though and everyone does the same.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. AlexQuinn

AlexQuinn Private E-2

Hi, I'm Alex, and I work for Trinary PC. I thought I'd take the time to clarify our service and answer any questions you might have.

Our model works on an existing corporate leasing structure. You get your computer, you keep it for two years. After two years for gamers, which is the customer base our service is designed for, it’s ostensibly useless, but it’s not useless to everyone. The cost you pay for the initial machine is the depreciation for all the computers spread across the lifetime of the agreement. To that end, we build our machines with high quality components that are designed to last, because after you're done with the machine, we have clients that are due to receive it as part of their leasing cycle. Our initial cost is higher than some of our competitors, because due to the nature of our business model, we are not interested in cutting costs by sacrificing quality.

This is a cost cutting measure for us that supplies a steady, reliable source of high quality used computers, which is what our leasing clients are demanding. It also allows us to offer gamers and other users who truly benefit from having a new, high end machine every 2 years, significantly decreased cost of ownership.

As for our business model being developed by an 18 year old gamer, our target audience happens to be gamers, ages 18-35. If that's the first thing that comes to mind when you see our branding, then I would posit we're on target with our marketing.

I’d love to answer any and all questions, and hear what people would like to see from our service.

4. Rikky

Well this is awkward :-D I've just just made fun of your business model and practically accused you of fraud and your taking awfully well:-D

Seems your a nice guy I wouldn't have been as nice to me,good luck with your new business:)

5. AlexQuinn

AlexQuinn Private E-2

Well, I would like to work with you to address your very legitimate concerns. While I’m not at liberty to discuss our actual manufacturing cost or our contractual agreements with our leasing customers, our business model is profitable. Unlike a Ponzi or pyramid scheme, our model does not rely on future buyers covering the cost of the replacement computers for existing customers, as explained by my previous post. The entire cost of your computer and its replacements is a factor of our business model from the day you purchase your machine. This is not an investment, and we’re not promising an unrealistic return on money invested.

I would like to understand the numbers involved in your calculation, and how you arrived at a $9,000 disparity, as it may indicate a miscommunication in the way we explain our business model.

6. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

lol Rikky I feel awkward reading it hahaha

Does sound to good to be true though. I would be curious to hear customer feedback about this service in the future. The cases look pretty sexy though :cool

7. Rikky

I valued your top of the range used two year old computers that are returned to you at just less than half price $2,000,i then multipied it by three to cover the nine year period and subtracted it from the $15,000 it would cost for three of your top of the line computers I, did forget to factor in the original $5,000 paid for the computer which would leave $4,000 your business model would have to take care of but I guess that will be covered by the price of the parts you buy,my bad,I expect you will sell on the used computers to help pay for the brand new computer you will have to replace,I would be rather interested in what you do with the used computers that are returned to you,does your business model label these as scrap that can be dis guarded or do you also have return to base policy with your parts vendor?

8. Rikky

Everything I worked out is totally wrong:-D It's $15,000 the price you say will be saved minus the re sale value of 4 returned computers which I valued at $2,000 X 4 = $8,000 which leaves a disparity of $7,000 which I again assume will be dealt with due to the price you pay for your parts,don't take make concerns legitimately or seriously they are just brain farts.

I'm still interested in what you do with the old computers though.

EDIT the thing is computers are like cars they hold value like a tennis racket holds water as soon as the four computers are shipped plus two years exploits most of the value,it just find it hard to understand how you can swap the original for four brand new computers for just one initial payment

9. Rikky

I've just found your Trinary difference page,so you do re sell the old computers.

Your saying that you will invest the original profit and HOPE that your investments turn a profit to cover the cost of the future computers,what if your investments don't play out?People wouldn't get their 3 more computers.

Surely your not saying you'll invest in the business to increase your customer base as this would be a pyramid scheme,the business model would only work if you had a constant increase in your customer base?

10. AlexQuinn

AlexQuinn Private E-2

Actually, all systems that are returned are leased to other clients. The computers you return provide us with a consistent supply of high quality used machines that satisfy the demand from our leasing clients. Very few machines will be resold, as at present, we purchase 90% of our leasing machines new, and this is a way to mitigate some of that cost, while extending an offer that is mutually beneficial to us and people who need the latest technology. The customers leasing the system you're returning are the ones who effectively pay for your replacement computers.

In a nutshell, we will buy the system you're returning anyways to meet the needs of our leasing clients, usually when it's no longer current technology. However, it is more cost effective for us to offer to sell you the new computer, replace that computer every 2 years, and lease the computer you return. It also saves all of our customers money, by spreading the cost around to different parties.

11. AlexQuinn

AlexQuinn Private E-2

By investment, we mean that a portion of your original purchase price, represents our profit. As with any company, profit is invested to increase revenue.

Thank you for pointing that out, you have a great point that that statement is confusing to the point of being misleading. It's that type of miscommunication that we strive to eliminate.

12. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Although it sounds like you would need to keep the computer in pretty good condition to keep the company happy :p

Otherwise it sounds like a good idea, but I think that some people that buy the PCs couldn't resist upgrading it before the 2 years are up.

13. AlexQuinn

AlexQuinn Private E-2

All details on the program are available at http://trinarypc.com/TermsandConditions.aspx.

14. bungiefan

bungiefan Private E-2

So I decided to look up the site again, and I'm just getting a resume page. I never bought a computer from this company, I just wanted to see what tehir "high-spec" systems were bragging now.

Did anyone buy from them and get any sort of support for the program, or any refund?

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Gawd, every two years? I would have loved that if I got my i7 w/6GB RAM and a GTX260! Seems they don't do hardware anymore. I hope not many folks got into this. Maybe Alex will come back and esplain this to us.rolleyes

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I am curious about what is done to the returns before being leased back out.
    Are they refurbished and checked out, or just given a cleaning?
    What about the information and programs left on the hard-drives when returned?
    Alex does make it sound pretty good,though.

17. Rikky

Hi Alex from trinarypc,thank you for pointing that out, you have a great point that that statement is confusing to the point of being misleading. It's that type of miscommunication that we strive to eliminate.

Hi Alex from trinarypc,thank you for pointing that out, you have a great point that that statement is confusing to the point of being misleading. It's that type of miscommunication that we strive to eliminate.

:-D

18. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Kinda seems like their business model for the hardware side of the operation didn't pan out like they wanted it too. Too good to be true, indeed . . .

19. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, buy a P.C. and get it upgraded for free every two years. Except for one hiccup. The company no longer supplies P.C.'s in less than two years. ~ Can you say "sucker".?rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds