Compaq Presario 5005CL optical drive data cable problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noviceguy, Sep 11, 2005.

1. noviceguy

noviceguy Private E-2

The HDD (Maxtor 40G) on my friend's Compaq Presario 5005CL went out, so changed it for a Maxtor 80G Diamond Max 09. When trying to reinstall the OS, I noticed the DVD and CD/RW drives would not power up. I needed at least one of them to install the OS. I pulled out the data cable, and the power lights went on, and the CD ROMs were now with power. I reinserted the data cable, and the power on the drives went out. The FDD and the new HDD are just fine. If only I could get this data cable to stop interfering with the optical drive power supply, I would be on my way. I changed the data cable, and I tried other power jacks on my power supply. The problem remains. When I insert the data cable into the drives, it robs the drives of the power.

The other thing is that when trying to access the BIOS, I am unable to it with DEL or F10. It keeps telling me the drive is unknown. But that should not prevent access to the BIOS. While I have built over a dozen PCs from scratch, this is the first name brand PC I am helping a friend with. I wonder if Compaq has put these hurdles into their firmware to ensure you bring the PC back to them for repair. My friend is a retired lawyer, and I am no expert as my username suggests. Any suggestions from you experts out there would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds