Desktop is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by FullMetal18, Jan 30, 2009.

1. FullMetal18

FullMetal18 Private E-2

have windows Vista, on a dell laptop inspirion E1405 and one day my desktop just vanished, the entire thing.

i have to go to task manager to start programs.

i can put up a desktop wallpaper, but as soon as i restart my laptop it goes away.

i downloaded malwarebytes' and i have run it to the point of no infections found.

cant use internet Explorer, bc every time i open it my comp freaks out, and starts opening new pages on Internet explorer, and wont stop till i hold down the power button and turn off the comp. i have Safari and FireFox, and mostly use Safari

any help would be amazing

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and while the gfx is low res does the PC work ok in this mode?

Have you installed anything new just before this happened?

Is this Vista version at SP1?

If this has just happened, I would be tempeted to restore back to a restore point before this happened, but if you have important files saved since this issue arrose then back them up beforehand.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds