Was my IP address cloned or is this just a scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Data Banks, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

Today I got a phone call from somebody who says he's with Microsoft out in scenic Cypress, California rolleyes. And he tells me the reason he's calling me is because Microsoft has detected that my IP address has been cloned rolleyes Thus he tells me he can help me over the phone and directed me to this site <snip> He gave me a code to plug into the window and told me to hit enter. That's where I hit my brakes and said, screw this how do I know this is legit? Thus my simple question here is this a scam or what?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Major scam. Its a good thing you stopped. Microsoft does not ever call people about their computers.

3. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

Thanks Laura, since I have this person's phone number and a supposed name, I was thinking about reporting him to the FBI

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I can virtually guarantee the phone number is fake as well as the name, but you could always report it if it'll make you feel better.

5. LauraR

I agree with Sgt. Tibbs. It's most likely a fake number. You can look it up on this site and see if anyone has reported it there. It's not an official site, but gives you an idea of scam stuff. : http://800notes.com/

6. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

7. LauraR

Its a well known scam. I'm glad you didn't fall for it. It's something you should let any friends know about as well. A lot of people get the calls and if they don't know about the scam, they let these people onto their computers, which is very bad.

As far as the numbers...Do Not Call lists don't work anymore since most of these people just spoof phone numbers anyway. The phone you see on your caller ID is not typically the number of the where they are.

8. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

Thanks but now I do wonder what the objective of their scam was? One reason I say that too is I hope I'm still safe? I didn't provide the scammer any information. When I hung up on him I told him to call back tomorrow, now I hope he does, just so I can move in for the sting. From the voice I heard on the other end, he could have been calling from India. :(

9. LauraR

10. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

Good, I'm safe then. I didn't give them any personal info. I don't believe I even mentioned my IP address to them too. :cool

11. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're right about that.
    My 75-year old mom received such a call. She had to tell the idiot twice that she doesn't own a computer.
    As LauraR said, do tell your friends, colleagues and family.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its more fun to tell them you don't have a phone. It really messes with their minds.

13. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

My son break out the Linux computer an d lets them have fun. Figure time is money to these creeps.

14. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

I am spreading the word as best I can. I hope this guy calls me back today too, since before I hung up on him I did ask him to do just that. If he does, I'm just going to convince him I'm playing along with his game while trying to discover just who he is. ;)

15. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

They phoned me the other day, Microsoft that is... rolleyes I was in such a foul mood I let out a torrent of cursing and swearing. It made me feel better :-D

16. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

That I can understand. And from what I found over at http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-213-477-1084 this scammer has quite a long record of f-cking with people. Thus I hope this guy gets just what he deserves one day. Sooner or later fate will catch up with him. Honest Abe said it best:
    [​IMG]

17. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

This is not a guy, it is an organized criminal syndicate, most likely based in India.

18. Data Banks

Data Banks Corporal

You know what I would like to see. Remember the TV program America's Most Wanted? I'd like to see the equivalent of this kind of show either on TV or online for the sole purpose of busting these cyber crooks. We can't just take this lying down anymore. Cyber Security is becoming more and more crucial to our life and well being. And from what I can see whoever is doing this, be it a individual or gang has been doing it for a long time now. I reported this case to both the FBI and Microsoft. But I believe we as individuals should do all we can do too to see these crooks get the justice they deserve. Believe it or not, thanks to the internet I've encountered 3 scammers this week alone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds