Hello and Big Thanks

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Ebmocwen, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Ebmocwen

Ebmocwen Private E-2

Hi, wanted to say hello to everyone and say I am glad to have found this forum and am happy to be here. I came across MajorGeeks doing a search for Vundo because my laptop was infected with it (along with a million other things it seems). I was getting pop ups taking over my system every 10 seconds or so at the end of it and my virus program wasn't helping! (I have Freedom Antivirus as provided by my ISP ... any comments from anyone on that program?)
    Well, I spent the weekend going through the Basic Maintenance, House Cleaning & Setup and XP Cleaning Procedures outlined in the other thread of this forum and am happy to report I have not seen a pop up since! I really want to thank the owners and moderators of MajorGeeks, this place is a tremendous resource.
    Hope this is the right place to ask, but: have I done everything I need to do? Can I be sure that all the malware, etc., including Vundo, is gone from my system? I have been working my way through the other thread "How to Protect Yourself from Malware" and following those instructions, but are there any other steps I need to take to be sure I am clean for now? Although it took awhile, the procedures almost seemed ... too easy ... lol ... and my own antivirus seemed to be getting rid of these things before but they kept coming back. Also, would the logs and things I saved during the procedures be of any benefit to anyone for the future or in adding to the database of knowledge on these types of malware?
    Anyway, again I thank the owners of the forum and those who prepared the cleaning procedures threads, it has been a real life saver to me! Looking forward to getting around the rest of the forums now ... !

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Welcome to MajorGeeks Ebmocwen!:major

It's always nice to when someone has found something within our forums helpful so thank you! for the feedback.:)

I would suggest however that you go ahead and start a thread in the Malware forum and attach the logs generated during your cleaning process. There are some extremely nasty variants of vundo that are not completely cleaned out during the normal process thus requiring manual removal of some things. While everything may seem ok on your computer now, it could show itself again and/or cause other problems if not completely removed.

3. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Welcome! Just remember that if you ever see zDawg32 with Strongbad dancing, I will always give you help. . :wave2:major

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds