Winter has come. :-/

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Nov 14, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This was my back yard this morning when I woke up. After last winter and the snow we had and the damage it caused (including my poor fish dying), I could have waited a much longer time to see something like this:

[​IMG]

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Oh Laura, what a lovely garden that is. :) I could just see myself sat out there having a wee smoke... LOL Beautiful! Very wintery. Autumn is one of my favourite times of year. I have took up an interest in mycology and this season's great for it.

What type of fish did you have in the pool?

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Rain, Rain, Rain here.

Amber wind alert which I suppose is stronger than green :-D You'd practically need to be a millionaire to have a garden like that in England, really nice.

Here's my piece of paradise.

Attached Files:

4. Kestrel13!

Rikky roflmao :-D Ha ha!!! That's awesome!!! Bit like mine.

Musky that's lovely too. :)

5. LauraR

Thanks, Em! I'm very proud of my yard. I planted every single tree and shrub you see out there (literally planted it myself...well, the hubby helped with some of the bigger holes that needed to be dug LOL). When we moved in 14 years ago, it was all empty and looked straight out to our neighbor's house behind us.

Its a good place for having a wee sit and doing lots of things. :-D

I had to look up mycology to see what it means. Looks pretty fascinating.

Oh, and my fish that died was an indoor fish. He lived in a bowl on my counter. A beautiful betta that I trained. We lost power here for 5 days and the inside of my house dropped down to refrigerator temperature (literally). He didn't make it. The stone thing on my patio is a firepit.

You get tons of rain there, don't you?

And we have land a plenty here. The yards in my area are typically at least 1/2 acre. If you get closer to an urban area, this yard would cost at least a million. That old supply and demand.

I'd love to know what those corner decorations you have out there in your paradise are. roflmao

Okay....well, that truly sucks. You definitely have me beat. lol

6. LauraR

Well, in this case I'm happy to be beat. roflmao

7. Kestrel13!

It's stunning. I would love to take time to sit out there with a book or a meal, just lovely. Great work!

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

LauraR, you are one lucky lady! Even though summer is around the corner, I would love to spend just one winter looking out over such a beautiful snow-covered garden. Although I'm on the wrong side of 50, and I've been all over the country, I've never seen snow!
    Here's a picture of two plants in the corner of my small garden.

Attached Files:

9. LauraR

Wow! You've never seen snow? I can't imagine. As much as I complain about it, it is very pretty and I'm glad we have a season where we get it.

...I just wish that season was about a week long and it only snowed once. :-D

What beautiful flowers! The only time I've seen those are when I go to the indoor garden place here. They have them in the tropical area. What are they called again?

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I does snow in South Africa. I just have lived in, or been to those areas when the snow falls. I'll have to make a plan before I move to the departure lounge.

The flowers belong to the plainly green plant (it's a Clivia) and have grown into the black (unknown) plant. Species of Clivia are found only in South Africa and Swaziland.

Here's another two pictures.

Attached Files:

11. Rikky

Dunno never had the balls to leave my flat/apartment a lot of crime where I've moved to:-D I'll open the box over the weekend see whats inside.

I don't even know where it's from I cleaned the whole yard when I moved here, maybe city centre santa free'ran a box of goodies to me:confused I'm betting some scum bag dumped their crap there though.

12. Rikky

Yes, probably all the condensed water from the tea we brew.

All the yards in my area have houses in themroflmao

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

BLECH!!!

I haven't seen my house in daylight since Saturday so I have no pictures, but we got lucky and the lake effect snow stalled about 5 miles west of me, so all I still have is about what Laura's seeing. The roads were even bare when I went in this morning at 6. It has been snowing constantly for a couple of days, but the ground isn't completely frozen yet and it's not coming down hard enough to leave more than about an inch on the grass.

In case anyone doesn't quite get the lake effect snow thing... musksnipe is right on Lake Michigan and I'm about 40 miles inland due east of him.

14. LauraR

They are quite pretty. Thank you for posting the pics. It makes me think of spring. :)

Do you live in the city?

I bet a potted plant would do wonders. LOL

15. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Wish I had a backyard like that. It's beautiful. Great job with the trees. Nice variety and perfect placement. I like the rail fence too.

I suppose you have a large window and sliding glass door opening to the patio.
    It would be great to sit inside and be able to look out across that yard.
    I'd be cleaning those windows regularly.

16. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yup, fired up the wood stove yesterday. :major

17. Rikky

I live in one of those failed cities, a town.:-D I'm 5 mins walk from the town centre.

I moved out of my parents place 3 weeks ago, I'm all alone in the big, err? Town.

18. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It started snowing for real some time while I was at work...there's probably a half inch on everything right now, the roads are getting bad, and it's still falling. Assuming the weather guessers are right and it's not stopping, I should be able to get a couple of pictures of the yard on Tuesday.

In the mean time, here's my view while waiting for my ride tonight outside the arena:

Attached Files:

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You go girl!!! :-D

20. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

We've gotten some snow over this way Laura, not much though, typically overnight/early morning. Gone mostly by 10:00 a.m.-noon so "winter" hasn't hit here yet.

Snow is good for two things:
    1) Deer Season... (most likely will miss most of it this year due to my work schedule) so that doesn't count this year.:-D

2) Christmas Eve/Day... Just because it isn't Christmas with out snow to me.

Anything other than that... Umm no thank you.

21. LauraR

I bet that is nice and toasty. :)

Big boy in the big, err, city? LOL

Cool on the new place. Now you just need to decorate your outdoor space.

You're not too far from me if I remember correctly. That was all we had, thankfully.

Now its just damn cold.

I'm going to a football tailgate at a friend's house before the Eagles game today. They do it outside. :eek

22. LauraR

I will admit to the fact that I would not categorize myself as a tailgater. I can't even remember the last time I did it, but I do know it was before a concert. I think the last sports thing I tailgated at was probably in college.

I'm always up for fun though and my girlfriend is a huge Eagles fanatic with season tickets (this is an away game). I'm sure they'll have plenty of food and beer.

We are headed over around 3 and the game is at 4:30, so I'm sure I can manage an hour and a half of cold....I hope. LOL

23. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Winter emergency survival tool and mandatory pre-game warm-up.

Attached Files:

24. denver

denver Guest

I like winter!

25. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, spring is here in Down-under-wonder land. All the yard has turned brown nd yellow. 'coz it's dead, lol!:p Snow is unheard of here, as well, eh.

26. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

We got our first snow last night only about 2" to 3" but beautiful.:) It is a wet snow so the roads will clear soon.

27. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

They were really, really serious about that 1pm start time, too! I was working downtown directly across the river from the Ford Museum...which you can kind of see as the square shape through the snow. And the others are my back yard. I've been home ~20 minutes and the footprints I left on the porch are gone. BLECH!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yeah, I was in the exhibit hall end of the building today (been working in the ballrooms on the other end all week). It might be about that far away, I was right on the river on the east side and the museum sits at the top of the hill on the other side.

This one was taken yesterday at about the same time from the ballroom end (down by the Amway Hotel):
    [​IMG]

29. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

roflmao roflmao roflmao
    That's because yesterday I was just off to the right, and today I was just off to the left. :-D

30. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yup, all of that. It won't stop coming down, and the stupid winter storm warning doesn't expire until 9pm tonight. It's been fun and all, but I'm done with winter now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

As of 11am...
    [​IMG]

31. Imandy Mann

Sgt. Tibbs - Tell me that's black and white film? Or is it color shots with no color to be found?

32. LauraR

Wow! That is what you'd expect in January. That's awful. Those icicles are crazy as well!

33. oma

oma MajorGeek

A little snow here but brrrr it's cold for this time of year. 21F and windchill is 2F currently. Will be cold and snow most of this week.

Although I hate winter gotta to tell you that above snow pics are beautiful.

34. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

More like February! On the news tonight they said we've been 30-40 degrees below normal temperatures. They also said the "official" snowfall here (read: measured at the airport) was about 13 1/2 inches in two days, but that most areas were well above that. I didn't actually measure ours, but it's over my knees.

However, we're nowhere near as bad as upstate New York, so I'm counting my blessings. Even with drifting, we're nowhere near the waist-deep or better snow they're looking at.

Not black and white...what you see is what I see when I look out the window.

35. Imandy Mann

Only one word comes to mind and I'm not sure it's the right word --bleary!--

36. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Do most of you like snow or would be more than fine without ever seeing or being around it?

It never snows where i stay, and its been a long time since i actually played in snow in a residential house. For me to do that i actually have to head far up to the mountains.

Its funny because when its like 60 degrees farenheit i feel quite cold, yet some of your would probably consider that ''normal'' or a laughable ''cold'' temperature.

I guess i am used to warm-hot temperatures. I used to like winter approach to an extent but i actually sort of despise overcast days makes the whole day feel depressing.

37. LauraR

Short answer for me...no.

It's pretty for the first real snowfall and then I want it to go away and not snow again until next year.

I just saw that 6 people have died already from the snow...3 from heart attacks while shoveling. :(

Buffalo, NY has gotten 5 feet already and it's still snowing there!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/11/19/wednesday-weather/19261905/

38. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Speak for yourself, musksnipe! I HATE this crap with a mad passion. I would like snow from December 24-25, and then it can all melt on the 26th and stay away until the next year. I hate being cold, I hate walking or driving in snow, I hate outdoor winter activities...while all y'all insane folks are doing outdoor snow things, I'm huddled under a blanket in front of a fire making hot cocoa. If I never saw snow outside of pictures again for the rest of my life, that would be just fine with me. This batch is particularly offensive since it's weeks early and comes with temperatures that are about 30 degrees below normal. We're already on record as being the 6th snowiest November, and it's only the 19th.

A friend of a friend died yesterday from a heart attack shoveling snow. We've already been told by the service that plows our driveway it's going to cost more this year because they had to start so early. If it keeps up as predicted, once again cities are going to have to truck snow to other locations because there will be nowhere to put it after it's plowed. The heater tape on our roof has been running nonstop for days and it's barely keeping up.

We're supposed to get about another foot between today and tomorrow (and set a record yesterday with 9.6 inches falling), and then Saturday it's going to switch over to freezing rain for a few days.

If weather were the only factor, I would have moved out of Michigan decades ago. Snow sucks.

And I thank all that's holy every morning that I do not live in Buffalo... I can't see myself living through a winter there.

39. Rikky

I don't blame Jack frost, I blame Ronald Macdonald.:cool

EDIT What I mean to say is, if shovelling snow gives you a heart attack then you were going to have a heart attack pretty soon anyway, it would have been something else like running with you kids or grand kids, gardening , carrying boxes ect.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  40. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

To a certain extent, but it is a well-known cause of heart attacks even for those who are fit. It's not just the exertion, it's the cold air which you're breathing in deeper and more frequently because of the physical exercise. Cold air can cause breathing problems, it constricts the blood vessels, and shoveling is an increase to blood pressure and heart rate comparable to running full-tilt on a treadmill. Most folks around here end up shoveling first thing in the morning because of overnight snow buildup, and most heart attacks occur soon after waking up.

So yes, diet and lifestyle are definitely contributing factors, but they're not the only reasons. The American Heart Association lists being middle-aged or older as a risk factor for heart attacks caused by shoveling snow, regardless of health or lifestyle.

41. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It took three separate tries, and about 90 minutes of my time, but I finally got the mailbox dug out. We live on the inside of a 90 degree corner, and the plow typically leaves about six feet of road unplowed from the corner for about 30-40 feet. Our driveway guy doesn't plow it, so it's all me and a shovel. Of course, it's still snowing, but at least we may actually get mail delivery tomorrow.

42. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

There was sunshine most of today, and I never noticed even a flurry!! And, I managed to find cement on a majority of my sidewalk (although not my porch), while also digging out the mailbox so she can actually just swoop in to deliver instead of having to stop and back up. Officially, we've gotten 28.4 inches of snow so far this month, which blows away the previous record (set in 1895).

I cannot even begin to imagine living in Buffalo. By now I'd have given up and moved.

43. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Every year, every place it snows heavily. People gamble on not doing roof snow removal, and they lose. It's not cheap... I think we paid almost $500 last winter, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than repairing the damage from a collapse.

44. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Best I can do... :-D

Attached Files:

45. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

What is this Winter of which you speak?

Ice and snow is fun to visit.
    But I soon tire of snow sports and want to go home. :cool

Low of 38, high of 88 FOR THE YEAR. Record mild year for my micro climate, 50 degree variation.

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

After about 36 hours of rain and temperatures from 40-50 degrees...

Attached Files:

47. denver

denver Guest

I like winter!!!

48. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Um... HE** NO!!!! :crybaby

I haven't heard an official total since Thursday, but at that point we broke our 1895 record with 29 inches. My yard never did get bare, although mostly all that was left was the piles and in the areas with a ton of brush...the yard itself was bare. I think we've only gotten 3-4 since it started snowing again yesterday, but it does have a lovely base of ice. The rain changed to snow around 3pm, by the way, and never looked back.

49. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Already did! Up until September, my niece was living in Holland, and I spend a LOT of time at her house. Last winter I somehow managed to be at her house for all three of the huge ugly storms... while on crutches. :p

50. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

There was enough of a break that she could drive over here to fetch me before I'd get trapped at her house, then enough of one later that she could drive me home again. Rinse and repeat. ;)

Granted, I was taking a LOT of narcotics most of last winter. I could be wrong. :innocent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds