2 different cables

Discussion in 'Software' started by GEEK WANNABE, Aug 6, 2004.

1. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

My brother is bringing me his comp. to work on and i just realized i have roadrunner cable and he has comcast and probably has a different enternet card. If I plug his system into my exterior cable modem will it work or am I going to have to download a driver or something?

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

it dosent matter what ethernet card you have. i think you mean modem. are you both going to be connecting to a different cable provider? is his computer going to take the place of yours? if you are just wanting to ad it as another machine, id just get a router. otherwise you will have to reconfigure the authentication program for it to connect.

3. munky4745

munky4745 Private First Class

Yea get a router, hub or probably all ya need is actually a switch $20 for a good one.

4. DanTekGeek

he dosent actually need a switch to share the connection, and good quality switches are way more than 20 bucks

5. munky4745

I saw www.newegg.com were providing like a 6 switch for $20 or just a lil more, but I could be wrong.

6. DanTekGeek

yes, but the quality is questinable. for buisnesses that need no downtime, they need good components

7. munky4745

8. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

All i want to do is hook it up temporarily so I could work on it and than its going back with him. I'm going to have to get online with it so I could download some programs because it runs like crap.

9. DanTekGeek

yeah, id just get a cheapish router if you dont allready have one.

10. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

Why would I have to get a router if I'm going to diconnect my comp. and hook his up temporarily? All i want to know is when I do this is it going to work or am i going to have to download a driver or something?

11. DanTekGeek

ohhhhhhhhh............i wasent aware that you were disconnecting your computer. yes, in that case, you will have to use whatever software you got with your service and put it on his computer to authernicate.

12. munky4745

lol yea what dan said

13. GEEK WANNABE

GEEK WANNABE Private E-2

I can't get on the internet. i installed roadrunner onto my brothers comp. and it won't go on the internet. Any suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds