ugh, Norton issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by link48010, Oct 22, 2007.

1. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

Well, I have recently ran out of subscription on Norton and have gotten tired of handing them an arm and a leg every year. I uninstalled Norton(after much trouble ;) ) and was preparing to install a free one when I noticed security center didn't warn me about Norton no longer being installed. Sure enough, it thinks that Norton is still working. How do I fix this. I don't really have to, but I'd feel *much* more comfortable with it monitoring correctly. It says in both Antivirus and FireWall (I had Internet Security 08 btw) are turned on and working. windows Firewall is off, and Norton is clearly not on. WTH is wrong?

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Download Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) 2008.0.1.19 and save to your desktop.

Once downloaded, run the tool to completely remove Norton. Once you have Norton completely removed see the thread below and get a free antivirus. I personally recommend AVG AntiVirus & Comodo Firewall for protection.

How to Protect yourself from malware!

3. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

Removal tool is how I ended up removing Norton (after trying the built in uninstaller many times). I have the removal tool on it's own disk for this exact reason (it's the newest one.)

4. bjgarrick

Have you already reinstalled the free antivirus and firewall?

5. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

yes I have added AntiVirus (AVG) But I have yet to get zonealarm on (using Windows firewall for now.) This computer is not actually *on* the internet right now, so I cannot get the zonealarm installation files yet.

6. bjgarrick

Okay! Once you're re-connected I would recommend Comodo Firewall but ZA is good also.

Once you get these installed, you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about the Security Center because if you have the applications installed and up-to-date you know your're protected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds