Error 1706 No valid source could be found for product Dell Support Center

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1ststeven, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 1ststeven

1ststeven Private E-2

I have a Dell E510 with XP 2003. Intermittently, I get this annoying: 'Error 1706.No Valid source could be found for product Dell Support Center [Support Software]. The Windows Installer cannot continue.' This acts like it is trying to load, then gives this Error 1706 and starts all over again.

I have to use the Task Manager to kill this, but would really like to never see Error 1706 again.

2. 1ststeven

1ststeven Private E-2

To add insult to injury 'Driver Detective' advertised in Major Geeks.com claimint to have Free download of all drivers to fix 1706 Error. After downloading this 100% Free fix, it ran a scan, claimed to have found 53 driver errors and then said to fix, I must Buy their software. Not exactly Free download or Fix like they advertise is it? There are several fake companies/names claiming the same Free fix. After clicking on all (different names) they all go to the Bogus Driver Detective. If they are going to Lie about a Free Fix and Free Driver download, how could I possibly believe that paying them for their software would actually work. You are right, their credibility is Gone.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Actually what you saw was a google ad, placed at the top of the MajorGeek site.
    Sites have no control over what ads are pushed to them by google (except to be sure that the ads are for things g-rated).
    If you looked a bit further, you would see that Driver Detective is not available for download through MajorGeek. This probably means that it isn't approved.

Looking for a download (I don't recommend C-Net but they are huge and have most everything, including malware with some of their downloads)
    http://www.download.com/Driver-Detective/3000-18513_4-10175742.html
    It says Free to try; $29.95 to buy This is different from a trial. A trial will work for a limited time. Free to try usually menas, you can install it and look at it but don't expect it to work.
    All this is for future reference so you don't get burned again.

Do you have anything on your computer with the program name Dell Support Center?
    The install is probably corrupted. The error you are seeing is for any program that used the windows installer to install the program (it probably came with your Dell and was already installed).
    You could use a windows installer cleanup utility to remove it BUT, I want to be sure that there is a download somewhere that you can get this software to reinstall it after we remove it and clean it up.

What model of Dell do you have? I'll try and browse the site for software downloads.

5. 1ststeven

1ststeven Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. I have a Dell Dimension E510 which is probably ready to replace except for my 2 sons being in college right now...

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, the Windows Installer cleanup utility should help. Download here (don't worry it says Office) and install. Find the installed utility at Start>All Programs>Windows Install Cleanup and run. Select/highlight Dell Support Center and click Remove.

If you want a fresh copy of the support center try here and install by following installation notes. *Verify that that is your computer model before installing*

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I should have said that you ought to try to remove the Dell Support Center program (if it exists) from Add/Remove programs first before using the installer cleanup utility. The cleanup utility won't remove the program just the corrupted installer file.

8. plodr

Go here
    http://supportapj.dell.com/support/...en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIMENSION 5150/E510
    click on Applications, and the first download is the Support Center.
    Download it BEFORE you remove it from your computer and use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
    Also after it is cleaned up, reboot and see if the message comes up. If it doesn't, you might not have to install this Support Center program. Dell is noted for adding things that aren't needed. If you haven't used it, you might not need it. ;)

There is also something called a PC Decrapifier (first started by someone to get rid of all the extras loaded on a Dell computer).
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5223.html

This allows you to remove some other extras Dell loads on that you may not want nor use.

9. 1ststeven

1ststeven Private E-2

Many thanks to all of the valuable info. I did use the windows installer utility cleaner to remove the dell support center, then downloaded it again from the Dell Support Center.

I have not seen this 1706 error pestilence since!

10. plodr

;) glad to hear it.

11. Karenfrye99

Karenfrye99 Private E-2

I had this problem too so read the forum and clicked on the download app they recommended and yes, lo and behold it looked like it was from MajorGeeks.com, but when all was said and done, it didn't fix anything because it asked me for $40 to do so.........

12. plodr

You did not click the proper download link.
    It is freeware. I just downloaded it.
    Go here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5223.html
    and click the first link under the green Download Locations button; it says Download@MajorGeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds