computer is running very slow need help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by turtleracer34, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtleracer34

turtleracer34 Private E-2

Hi, my computer is running extremely slow and I was hoping to get some information on how to improve this. I included a hijackthis.log. Thanks for the help.

turtleracer

Attached Files:

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

3. turtleracer34

turtleracer34 Private E-2

my computer needs to be cleaned

Hi, my computer hasn't been running very well and I think it needs to be cleaned. Please let me know what I should do first and thanks for the help.

4. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: my computer needs to be cleaned

Hi

What Windows version?

The above suggestion of the cleanup steps is spot on option for you to try first, but also what symptoms are you having as "computer not running well" is vague, so are you...

1. Getting popups or any type, have you run antivirus to check if you have malware?
    2. As that guide has CCLeaner as a cleanup tool to use, could you tell us how many startups you have listed in Tools > Startup?
    3. Is it that programs open slowly? if so what security software do you have installed, please list all including Firewalls, Antivirus, anti-spyware etc.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Merged the two threads on this issue together, posted before I noticed the original one in Networking which is post #1

So some further info....

You do have malware on your PC so you do need to run the Read ME as listed in buggabears post and once finished start a new thread in malware so that the malware can be cleaned up before any other steps of helping you slim down the large amount of non needed startups you have at boot.

Full guide steps are here, with link to the Malware forum

Please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.

• If something does not run, write down the info to explain to us later but keep on going.
    • Do not assume that because one step does not work that they all will not.
    Notes:

1. If you run into problems trying to run theREAD & RUN ME or any of the scans in normal boot mode. You can running steps in safe boot mode but make sure you tell us what you did later when you post logs. See the below if you do not know how to boot in safe mode:
    2. If you have problems downloading on the problem PC, download the tools on another PC and burn to a CD. Then copy them to the problem PC. You will have to skip getting updates if (and only if) your internet connection does not work. Yes you could use a flash drive too but flash drives are writeable and infections can spread to them.

Once finished please start a new thread in the Malware Forum plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

After these are attached our malware experts will review these to see if your OK, if not they will issue you some further removal instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds