Problem IBM T30 and NETGEAR WG511v2 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fcch, Feb 26, 2006.

1. fcch

fcch Private E-2

Hi folks, ...

I didn't find any really useful stuff on the support site, ... so here goes .

I'm trying to connect a NETGEAR WG511v2 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card in an IBM T30 Laptop.

As docuemnted on the NetGear site, the GUI won't install, so I manually installed the driver and teh Windows 2K system tray says that the adaptor is working fine.

Problem is, ... it never finds a Lan, ... At home it,s supposed to be UP as juniour's PsP works fine on the LinkSys WRT54G wireless.

Anyone have problems getting such a card to work on an IBM?

Thanks

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Does any thing show up as a problem in the device manager? Start-> Run-> devmgmt.msc

Do you have a firewall running? If so what is it and turn it off until you are able to establish a connection.

Are you using the Netgear utility to look for the networks?

Download NetStumbler and see if it is able to see your network at home.
    http://majorgeeks.com/NetStumbler_d4447.html

3. fcch

fcch Private E-2

Thanx shnerdly, ...

The device manager "sees" everthing fine. I can't get the Netgear utility to install, ... so I'll try the IBM Connections manager. I'll try the net stumbler next.

4. fcch

fcch Private E-2

shnerdly, ...

OK, the net stumbler sees my ssid (as well as the land lords and the neighbours) ... I know now that the card WORKS and that it's a problem getting Windows to talk to it to connect.

Thanks.

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Using the IBM Connections software is probably a good idea. The fact that NetStumbler sees the network is good, that means the driver for the card is working.

Make sure you disable the Windows Wireless Zero Config in services (Start-> Run-> services.msc ). It will conflict with the IBM utility.

6. fcch

fcch Private E-2

shnerdly, ...

Wireless Zero, ... I believe that service only exists in XP, ... I'm on Windows 2000, ... Is there a comparable service in W2K that should be disabled??

Thanx

Christopher

7. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Your right. Sorry. It's just called Wireless Configuration in 2000.

8. fcch

fcch Private E-2

shnerdly, ...

Thanks for all your help. I finally got it right (RTFM):rolleyes: , ... Seems the drivers and Wireless assitant from NetGear were TOO up-to-date.

As the darn 'puter here is running on a French OS, ... I had to retro back to the initial driver set.

Just gotta read the fine print sometimes. Sorry for wasting your time.

Cheers,

Christopher.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds