Dead space on screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dkocian, Jun 23, 2015.

1. dkocian

dkocian Private E-2

I have a Dell Latitude E7440 laptop, with i5-4310u processor, 8 GB of RAM, running 64 bit Windows 7. Standard USB mouse and keyboard. Connected through docking station to a Dell P2314H 23" widescreen standalone monitor.

There is one place on my screen, about an inch square in the top right corner, where my mouse will not work to activate a link. If there is a button to push, or link to activate that falls into that space, I cannot access it. I can, for example, scroll the screen up or down to move the link above or below this area and it works fine. I can make the window smaller, and move the entire window to the left and the link moves out of this space on the screen and it works. It happens for every program I have run, including Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, and several special programs I run.

IT folks at my Company have looked at it and it has them stumped. They never saw anything like it before either. Mouse pointer moves over the space fine, but will not turn into the hand with the pointing finger indicating that a link exists. Roll the screen an inch down, and mouse changes to the pointing finger and the link works.

Not even sure where to start troubleshooting on this one. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would try another monitor just to conclusively eliminate yours from the equation.

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

3. dkocian

dkocian Private E-2

Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't have an extra monitor around to try it, but will do so in the next day or so. Meanwhile, since this is on a laptop with an external monitor attached, I confirmed, using dual screens, that the problem exists on the laptop screen as well as on the external monitor screen. Exact same issue in both places.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

No need try another monitor then. The fact you see this same "dead space" on both the notebook monitor and external monitor is proof the problem is with the graphics solution in the notebook and not your monitors.

And since most notebooks use integrated graphics that cannot be replaced, all I have to offer is to visit the notebook makers website to ensure you have the latest graphics drivers.

Check your warranty too. The notebook may still be under warranty.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds