Using a workable old EIDE WD1200JB hard drive as a External Hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lobo43, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

Hello,

Outside of needing an enclosure for a 2.5 WD1200BJ hard drive, which I have, what else do I need to use the hard drive as an external hard drive?

Thanks for any help that may be provided.

Lobo43

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just a proper USB cable to connect the enclosure to the computer USB port. Sometimes the enclosure will come with that cable.

3. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

Thanks for the info. You are correct, all of the cables came with the enclosure, however, and fitting the drive inside the enclosure and connecting the power cable and USB to the computer and turning on the external drive, there is no communication between my computer and my hard drive. Is there anything that I am forgetting?

Lobo43

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have two old enclosures and the directions that came with mine said the drive in the enclosure had to be set to master. You should see jumper settings printed on the label of the old hard drive showing master, slave, and maybe the third option is auto-select. It has been years since I dealt with jumpers I don't remember exactly what the third option is.

5. Lobo43

Lobo43 Private E-2

Plodr,
    Thanks for the suggestion, however, after checking the hard drive the jumper is set to Master. I didn't try any different selection because I didn't know if I might damage the hard drive.
    Lobo43

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds