Dual graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bogjumper, Jul 1, 2015.

1. bogjumper

bogjumper Private E-2

Good day

I have a motherboard A88XM-E with integrated radeon 7000/8000 graphics on 8 G Ram/Win 7. My old card is a radeon HD8570 1 Gig. Could I team them to get a better output should I want to.

Thanks

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Not easily and with little to no benefit as the 8570 is a very capable card. I'd run the 8570 and disable onboard.

3. bogjumper

bogjumper Private E-2

Hi Major Attitude

Thanks for the info. Since posting I found that the integrated card appears to be a HD 8570D also which I did not realise when I purchased it. Would this make a difference.Could they work in tandem. As I said at the beginning its not critical as overall I have a vastly better system than my 8 year old Dell and which cost half the price but if I could make easy use of another card which will slot in and they worked together it would be a bonus.
    I take note of your mention that it would be difficult but just wondered if they were the same whether that changed things.

Regards

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Connecting cards is old school and typically it was because on card added something like 3d but in your case, no. No one does it anymore because video cards have come with 2,3 and 4 processors built in for years. That is an excellent card and are you're not going to see a difference even if you could do it.

5. bogjumper

bogjumper Private E-2

Thanks very much as that makes the picture quite clear. So I will probably use my old pc for older things. However I have read that if I need more graphic power down the line that Radeon dual connect is an option.

Keep well

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

"Better" is the key here. No way will you get "better" output using the integrated graphics. For one, integrated graphics tend to be pretty basic, entry level. Fine for watching videos, Internet surfing, emails or doing Office tasks but not serious, graphics intensive tasks.

Except for the most budget graphics cards, graphics cards offer better performance than integrated graphics because they tend to have a more powerful GPU and graphics cards have their own dedicated graphics RAM.

When you enable the integrated graphics on that Asus board, up to 2Gb of your system RAM will stolen... err... "shared" and used for graphics processing, reducing the amount of system RAM available to the OS and CPU. And that most likely will degrade your computer's overall performance, not make it "better".

7. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

IMO it may be a little better, your board supports dual graphics, scroll down in the Asus link to the blurb they have. I believe they do the same as Gigabyte, not a clue how it works but it is suppose to.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/A88XME/

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

What model of CPU are you running?

9. bogjumper

bogjumper Private E-2

Good day all
    Just a note to say that besides using my pc for the normal everyday use mainly emails to family and old colleagues and friends worldwide and sourcing online items I war game at times mostly with older 2005/2012 games which do not demand the greatest and best.However if Im still about in time then someone may bring out something extra special requiring more ability than I have now so I want to see if I can prepare easily and cheaply.Interestingly I have ended up with an integrated graphics card the same as my old pc card which also made me to think of dual.
    If you dont mind I will reply to each here and start by answering the CPU question. The Mekanik first as that adds more info to the mix.
    " The AMD A8-6600K Black Edition in some ways is all the CPU you will ever need. With 4 cores and a stock speed of 3.90GHz, which automatically turbo's up to 4.20GHz when required, this CPU can handle anything you throw at it. Even more impressive is the overclocking ability of these processors with some reaching near and over 5GHz on air cooling.

The main and best feature of the A8-6600k is the onboard IGP, the HD 8570D which is equivalent in gaming performance to a HD 6670 and can actually play any game including the latest titles with moderate quality settings. In our own testing Borderlands 2 at 1680x1050 with all details on medium/maximum was more than playable, with smooth frame rates. However it is very important with the FM2 platform to use high speed memory as the onboard IGP gets a serious performance boost with faster memory upto 2400MHz.
    Features:-
    - Blazing fast computing from 256 AMD Radeon™ cores 2.0 featuring DirectX® 11 capable graphics.
    - Immerse yourself in the awe of AMD HD3D gaming.
    - Unlock all the control and performance of the 2nd generation AMD A-Series Processor when you select the overclockable Black Edition.
    - Eyeinfinity Support (Upto 3 monitors)
    - World class APU designed for amazing graphics, gaming and compute performance.
    - Up to 779 GFLOPS of compute performance
    - Up to 10% performance increase in 3D Graphics over AMD Trinity

Specification:-
    - 4 cores (Quad Core technology)
    - 3.90GHz Stock speed
    - 4.20GHz Turbo speed
    - 4MB Cache
    - Multiplier Unlocked (Great for overclocking)
    - 100W TDP
    - Onboard IGP: HD 8570D, 844MHz Core speed, 256 Stream Processors
    - 3yr Warranty
    OldPhil, thanks for the pointer and this has lead me to discover that it can be with the 5/6000 AMD series. However followup showed me that these lines have been discontinued . The UK Amazon site say do not know when they may return and I could find them nowhere else for futureproofing. So I wrote to AMD and asked them the question. I await their answer.
    Digerati I appreciate your comments but the the review above stated tha the HD 8570D which is equivalent in gaming performance to a HD 6670 and can actually play any game including the latest titles with moderate quality settings. So it was better but I saw a note somewhere which mentioned in using an integrated CPU and having an express slot free allowed a dual setup.
    Which is what started me wondering.
    Again I thank you all for your inputs which have been most interesting and helpful
    On an aside I have a 22/24 ins LG Flatron TV/Monitor which I have found allows me to use an RGB line for my old pc and HDMI for the new one at a flick of the switch.

10. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with that CPU and that motherboard you should get really good graphics performance with the integrated graphics.

But if budget allows (and the PSU too) and performance takes top priority, then add-in graphics cards are the way to go.

11. bogjumper

bogjumper Private E-2

Hello Digerati

I agree which is why I started along this route. Since yesterday I had a reply from AMD asking me to clarify my request. I was at a loss to clarify"What would you recommend to replace the HD6000/8000 series no longer available, for AMD dual graphics A8-6600" but I have tried and await an answer. I have just seen this comment and followup" Last week I ran some gaming benchmarks on AMD’s A8-6600K APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) and found that it was surprisingly competent at rendering advanced graphics — provided you’re willing to make significant compromises like dropping down to 720p and reducing overall quality."
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ions-testing-an-a10-6800k-with-dual-graphics/.
    Basically he states that adding another card to the A8 is a waste of money and that it gives very little improvement so get the a10 instead. Wish I had see this before I bought.
    Well no good crying over spilt milk at least it will handle all my jobs very well and lets not worry about the future.

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds