purchasing a new pc help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by may2014, Jul 5, 2015.

1. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

I have some questions about getting a new deskstop computer. office depot has one currently that has 8gb memory 1tb hard drive , its an HP Pavilion Desktop with AMD Quad-Core A6 Processor . Is this processor the best or is the intel processors the best. ?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It depends on what you want to use the PC for. As for your question, many, but not all, serious gamers prefer AMD CPUs because the manufacturer acquired ATI (the GPU manufacturer) some years ago.

3. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

I'm not a gamer i just want a fast processor. What is wrong with the ATI you are referring to?

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I did not say there's anything wrong with ATI. With AMD purchasing ATI, one company now manufactures both CPU and GPU - serious gamers like that. The PC you're considering will suffice for most PC tasks. Only high-end gaming and video rendering requires the fastest/best hardware.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Both companies make quality, reliable CPUs. To say Intel is better than AMD or AMD is better than Intel is too generalized. Pick two CPUs then compare them to see which is better for you and your intended purposes.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Digerati nailed it. Flip a coin. What you want to know is what's their last 3-5 processors out then compare price. Typically the hottest, newest chip can add over $500 to a computer price, where the last 2 processors can be almost as fast while more affordable I personally like Intel but I really don't insist on it.

7. Digerati

Me too. Why? Because "generally speaking", Intels offer better performance and are more efficient thus generate less heat. But "generally speaking" they typically cost more too. But there are notable exceptions across both lines. And the differences in efficiency and heat are typically just a few points or degrees apart, and performance differences can normally only be seen on paper.

As for cost differences, once you factor in the cost of the motherboard, power supply, RAM, graphics card, case, drive(s), speakers, monitor(s), OS, keyboard and mouse, the difference in CPU prices become almost insignificant.

So the answer is clear, my Ford F150 is better than your Chevy 1500 and both are better than his RAM 1500. ;)

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Mainly for me, Intel has always made a really good, stable motherboard as well. They are also the industry standard. AMD has to be Intel compatible. It always is, but still. Us old timers remember when AMd had issues being anywhere near as good but those days are LONG gone. In other words, I think you will agree, AMD is a great choice if you want to save some loot.

9. Digerati

I agree - but with all the other components consuming large chunks of the budget too, that "loot" you save - especially when spread over the life of the computer - may not be that much.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were a laptop, I too would say Intel.
    We have two Acer netbooks purchased 2 years apart. The older one has an AMD processor and probably better graphics because of it. It has a weaker CPU so it runs slower than the newer computer so that is to be expected given a 2 year difference in manufacturing. But the one thing I truly notice, the AMD netbook runs much hotter than the Intel.

In a desktop, you can add additional cooling, as needed but not in a laptop. I have the older, hotter one sitting on a passive thermal transfer mat. I don't need one for the Intel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds