I THINK my computer is making weird noises

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jesse Newell, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I can't be sure they're coming from my computer at all, but they sound like they are. Last night I thought I heard a beep. A few minutes ago, I heard another, slightly longer, beep, that had a weird kind of grinding sound to it. And just now, I think I heard a sound kind of like a short squawk. I'm REALLY worried. Is there a scan I can run on the computer to make sure it's OK?

2. Xernicus

Xernicus Private E-2

If you have a mechanical hard drive, that could be the source of your noise.

I'd suggest downloading a Drive Fitness Test that is provided by your drive manufacturer.

Seagate provides SeaTools
    Hitachi provides the HGST Drive Fitness Test
    WD provides Data Lifeguard
    Samsung provides HUtil

Make sure to run all of the tests. A drive that passes the SMART test might fail the read/write long test for example.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I ran Data Lifeguard. My drive passed the SMART test and the extended test. Thanks.

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Possibly one of your fans could be on its way out.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. If it's only a fan, I'm not that worried. I'll wait to see if it makes a noise again.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

If it is a fan you might end up cooking something.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Is there any way I can run a temperature check?

8. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Speccy will show the HDD, CPU & Motherboard temps.

10. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. Speccy says the HDD is at 37C, and the CPU and motherboard are both at 50C. SpeedFan also says the HDD is at 37C. Are those temperatures good or bad?

11. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just checked mine.

HDD 34°C
    CPU 47°C
    Motherboard 32°C

While I have a desktop PC, there's no case fan. Based on this, I think your motherboard temp is too high. You'll have to wait for the laptop experts to advise you.

12. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Damn. Hope you're wrong this time. Thanks.

13. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

For a LT they are decent.

14. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks! I can rest easy now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds