Tracking

Discussion in 'Software' started by JamesWRMJ, Jan 11, 2004.

1. JamesWRMJ

JamesWRMJ Private E-2

Hello again:
    How do I track a file placed on my PC back to it's source? Thanks. Take care.
    James

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not quite sure what mean.

If its a dll, sys, or exe, you can gnerally go to properties of the file and find out more information under the version tab, if there is on.

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Holy furballs, Batman! Is that the MSKB or the MGKB? Just wanna make sure, cuz I don' wanna be 'sponsible for any dead snugglers.

4. JamesWRMJ

JamesWRMJ Private E-2

I tried that but the file only has ~ for a name. The file type is file. I keep deleting it & it keeps coming back.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A quick question where is this ~ ( tilde ) located? would it be on your desktop by any chance?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LOL Halo, the MSKB.

I've not gained enough courage to adapt it to my Outlook signature at work yet :p

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

James I just re-created what I "think" the file maybe, it is possibly the small problem that arose after the Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994) was installed and its a flaw or unique error that happens when you are using/updating your Address Book its AFAIR the backup file to the Addy book.

just delete the file is one option... uninstall the cumulative patch is another BUT I would just delete it BUT make sure you manually backup your address book after any changes.

MS are aware of this problem and will most likely have the fix in SP2.

does the file look like this pic?

8. JamesWRMJ

JamesWRMJ Private E-2

I thank you all for your efforts.

James

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds