What software is safe to be a server?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wayne82, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I have ZoneAlarm and as you probably know it asks you what access you give each piece of software. When using BitTorrent, is it normal to ask can it be a server? Also should I let QuickTime Player act as a server?

What does being a server actually do? Is it letting information leave my computer?

Thanks in advance for any answers ;)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Internet access allows the program to make connections to remote hosts.
    Server status allows the program to accept connections from remote hosts.

Bittorrent needs both types of access.
    QuickTime I wouldn't be so sure about.... but I must admit extreme bias against this app.

The security problem here is that if someone were to be hacking your machine, it is possible they may exploit the programs that are listening for connections.

3. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

What about Firefox? Should I let it act as a server? I usually just press deny as it seems safest to me.

When I go to internet TV sites, and ComputerACTIVE! magazines website, ZA asks if I should let Firefox act as a server. Im sorry if it seems a bit of a dumbass question. I would just rather ask someone who knows better than me. thanks.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Chances are you're being prompted BECAUSE a website is trying to make a connection to your browser (ie, make it act as a server)... if you wish the site to be fully functional, then yes, allow it to make a connection. But, to be safest, make it a temporary one. Some other website might not be so innocuous.

Essentially, the fewer server applications, the better... any you are allowing to act as server should be fully updated for maximum protection from exploits.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds