Linux AND XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by X-Z3R0, May 8, 2007.

1. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

This topic has questions about both linux AND windows XP but moreso XP so i thought i put it here.

So im finally gonna install Xandros. I've gotten myself a busload of partitioning/recovery tools and PART of my XP CD Working (it stopped at the file load so windows gave me a floppy disk install program but said i needed the disk 1 and i have so im ok) so i think im good but just a few final questions.

For XP:

On my XP Disk im having doubts if the fixmbr/fixboot command will work or not in the recovery console...what if its part of the messup on the disk? is there any way to test without actually overwriting my master boot record? because that sounds JUST A LITTLE dangerous =P

For Linux AND XP:

When i install Xandros and it dual boots overwriting my bootloader files and maybe even my master boot record(i dare you to tell me that doesent sound bad) and if everything goes fine and i like it. Is there a way to uninstall Xandros? I know theres no magic button...but would i like just go into a partition manager and delete the partition?

For XP:

If i do *successfully* uninstall Xandros (if i want to) will i have to reprogram and rewrite my MBR and NTLDR files? if i do is there a way to do it from the recovery console?

Starting to sound dangerous again but i have faith...i hope you can help

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds