fixmbr 0x0000007b issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by soonercntry, Mar 23, 2009.

1. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

I keep getting the "Blue Screen of Death" w/ the 0x0000007b Error.

I ran a CHKDSK, which came back error free - suposedly! I didn't trust it and ran a CHKDSK /P, which told me that there were issues.

After this, I decided to run the CHKDSK /R command - which is running right now.... albeit rather slowly.

If the Chkdsk doesn't help I'm considering a fixmbr attempt, but I'm kind of scared of losing documents if it doesn't go right (actually my mother-in-laws computer). Should I be scared?

If so, what suggestions do you have?

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

when are you getting this BSOD?

if you run the fixmbr, you should not loose any documents, even if the computer refuses to start afterwards. I would still back up important information first, as your problems may be caused by a failing hard drive.

3. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

BSOD happening during bootup. Can't even get to the Windows screen, even when selecting SafeMode. Happens when loading drivers.

Chkdsk(s) did nothing for me. Still getting BSOD. Can't back up anything right now. Can't access.

The only changes I made prior to restart was to remove 2 programs. I removed Java prior to updating it after restart, and then removed Weatherbug. PC has been running slowly and I was just cleaning it up a bit before "deep diving" into it.

4. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

fixboot or fixmbr now?

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I've seen that same bsod twice in the last few weeks on different computers. One occurance was definitely from a virus or spyware, the other i'm not too sure. But in both cases, i was able to get into the drive and copy anything important, and then reformat.

6. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

I've never gone into a different drive.

Can I just connect it to a functioning PC as a Slave drive and then save files on healthy HDD?

7. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I assume you have the drive hooked up to a different computer as a secondary drive and that is how you used chkdsk on it. I would copy any important documents off the hard drive. After that, download seatools http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools and run the "long generic" test on the hard drive. This should give you a pass/fail grade for your hard drive.

8. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

fixmbr did nothing. I've never paid much attention to the drivers as they are being loaded... so this next part may not mean anything:

the BSOD occurs at the windows\system32\drivers\mup line.

9. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

Actually, I was using the XP recovery disk to get into recovery mode and a C prompt. Haven't connected it to a different pc yet. Will do later this evening, when I have more time.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Actually the last line you see loaded. The next item, which you never get to see is the one that causes the problem. So it is next to impossible to try and guess what the problem item is.

11. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

Update:

I've tried to access the files on this HDD by making it the slave drive to my own PC. However, the drive is protected and it won't let me look at "My Documents".

Any ideas?

12. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

13. soonercntry

soonercntry Private E-2

sach2, Thank You for the ownership suggestion! I wish I would have been smart enough to try.

I did get the info by using a freeware program (PC Inspector). Not the most user friendly program, but I still managed to get it all and store it on an external drive for my mother-in-law.

Thanks to everyone!!! This community rocks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds