Intel AC'97 Audio Drivers help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by toocool_sashi, Apr 9, 2008.

1. toocool_sashi

toocool_sashi Private E-2

Hi,

My system crashed a couple of days ago, and i re installed windows XP. Now the device manager says that the drivers for my sound card aren't installed. My soundcard is an intel82801DB ac'97 audio controller (ive attached the Everest report). I got a couple of places on the internet where i could download this driver. when i tried installing, firstly an error of "THIS DRIVER HASNT PASSED THE XP COMPATIBILITY TEST" appears, when i click on "Continue Anyway", the system restarts and then on restart a pop up of "your system has recovered from a serious error" crops up. what do i do!?
    thanks for ur time,
    sashi

Attached Files:

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. toocool_sashi

I do have a Realtek AC'97 application in my Add/Remove Programs, but when i try uninstalling it, it asks to restart. when i restart, the application is back in the list! and i tried installing the drivers from that link, but the same thing happens. first a compatibility warning appears, and if i go ahead, my system restarts automatically!
    whats going on? :(

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

6. toocool_sashi

1. i tried installing the drivers without restart, no use, the system restarted.

2. i installed the chipset, then i installed the drivers from the link in the last post. the drivers installed without restart *BUT* after install, it said "the setup has finished required maintainance of the system, please restart". and when i restart, new hardware (multimedia audio controller) is detected!!
    what do i do??
    sashi

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Do you mean uninstalling the Realtek drivers?
    That should be your your driver being detected. Allow the hardware wizard to install it.
    Then tell me what's going on in your Device Manager.

8. toocool_sashi

1. Firstly i uninstall my drivers, then it asks for a system restart. now if i restart my system, the drivers come back automatically. if i try installing the drivers i downloaded from the link u gave me, my system crashes.

2. yes that is my new hardware being detected. if i proceed with the hardware wizard, my comp crashes again!

3. Device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark on "multimedia audio controller", and when i click on driver details, it says "no drivers are installed or required for this device" whereas i can clearly see "realtek ac'97" in my add/remove list.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try updating the multimedia controller through Device Manager and point it to the drivers in the Realtek folder.

10. toocool_sashi

I tried that, still doesnt work. Well i think i know what will work. i need a *Windows XP Certified* Intel82801DB AC'97 Audio driver. Any idea where i can get that?
    sashi

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Both drivers I suggested should be certified, as they both came from Realtek. They also are AC'97 drivers, but if you want another source, this is from Intel:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...All&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng

This is the driver that would be supplied with your motherboard. (All three are the same driver from 2 different manufacturers)
    And this is another of the same driver:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=205636

The problem isn't the drivers, Realtek must be completely removed before installing another driver.

12. toocool_sashi

Well i tried both these drivers, they didnt work either. they were not certified either. i deleted a folder named "realtek ac 97" from my program files and then i tried installing the drivers, still to no avail. this never happened earlier! i mean, my computer would work with the non certified drivers! is it a windows installation problem? would hijack this or any other similar program give any insights? im willing to do anything now!!!

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Realtek drivers ARE WHQL certified.
    If you are getting messages that say they aren't, then there is something going on in your PC.
    I think you can turn the service off that deals with that, but I'm not sure what service that is.
    Have you done any malware scans recently?

14. toocool_sashi

I have NOD32 installed on my system, and it shows that my comp is clean. What other scans do u recommend?

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

16. toocool_sashi

Spybot showed nothing. :( Will it help if i format my hard disk drive and re install windows?

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It may, if you want to go that route.
    You should make sure all your personal files (Music, Documents, Video, etc.) are backed up to disc or an external HDD.
    Also, make a list of all your installed apps, so you know what you need to install again. AND make sure you have install discs or keys for any paid-for apps.
    When (if) you reinstall your OS, make sure to format the disc. (I would do the full (long) reformat.)
    Then install your chipset driver, audio driver, then the others. Do this before restoring any apps, except your AV and FW.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds