Opera error while installing

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 21, 2011.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

While I was upgrading from Opera 9 to Opera 11, the following message appeared: "An unexpected error occurred while attempting to install Opera! Error code: 72 [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Opera 11.50 1074.lnk]" Can anyone help me with this?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

If you don't find a solution for this specific problem, I suggest that you make a backup copy
    of the most needed personal configuration files, such as bookmarks.adr and the sessions files.
    Then uninstall your current version, reboot, install Opera 11.50 and then copy those backup files into
    the proper locations.

Open Help > About to find the location of those files.

I have done this several times.

There is also a file named operaprefs.ini in ver 10 and 11, but I'm not sure if the corresponding file
    in version 9 has the same name, or if the structure of the file has changed.

If you are going to uninstall, you should first look over your Preferences settings, particularly on the Advanced tab,
    and make notes of your Custom settings.

Since I've done this uninstall / install process so many times, I made a text file named opera_config.txt containing my custom settings
    so I don't have to rely on my memory alone or guess about which things need to be adjusted.

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I'm having a senior moment, so please excuse this question: How do I back up files?

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

All you are going to do is make a copy of those files.

Make a new folder to hold the files - something like C:\FryboBckup\Opera and copy the files to that folder.

On the Opera browser menu bar, select Help > About Opera and it will show the location of the
    files that you want to copy.

Example:
    In Opera 10.50 with my installation, the bookmarks file is located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Opera\Opera\bookmarks.adr

You should at least copy that and the Sessions files.
    As you know, you can save as many sessions as you want, so there may be several files,
    so you can copy the entire folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Opera\Opera\sessions

After you have uninstalled your current version and installed the latest version, 10.50,
    just copy the saved bookmarks.adr file to the proper folder.
    Use the Help > About Opera screen again to verify the proper location.

Likewise, copy all of the backed up session files into the Sessions folder.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks, mjnc. Looks pretty simple.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds