DOS printing to USB printer

Discussion in 'Software' started by da chicken, Jun 13, 2003.

1. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

A friend of mine uses billing software that is still DOS-based. There is a Windows version available, I guess, but the interface is so horrid she can't use it. At any rate, new software isn't a good solution. A print server would be another solution, but is rather expensive.

Anyhow, she wants to be able to print to her USB printer. I figure I can share the USB printer and use:
    Code:
    NET USE LPT1: \\127.0.0.1\printshare /PERSISTANT:YES

(Obviously, she's using Win 2K/XP.)

Is there anything else I will have to do? I'm not sure ATM of the exact model of printer, but I know it is a newer HP LaserJet or DeskJet. I'm thinking "Print directly to printer" might be needed, but I'm not sure.

I won't see her for a week or so and it won't be me actually implementing the change, so I'll be explaining it and giving her my notes.

Thanks for any help!

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Last edited: Jun 13, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds