I'm told it's called the 'Blue Screen Virus'

Discussion in 'Software' started by McDorman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. McDorman

McDorman Private E-2

My computer was working just fine, and I got a bluescreen, i've had a few in my days of hardcore gaming. But, this one, I wasn't doing anything. When i turned my computer back on, it started up the same, then when it was supposed to go to the windows log-in screen, it just went black, stayed black, and I can't do anything. I've tried to start it up in 'Safe-Mode' but still, that screen is black, and I can't do anything, how can I fix this problem?

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Most blue screen errors are not due to malware so I'm moving this to the Software Forum especially since you say you cannot even boot up.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Not knowing what the information the bluescreen related I would try a boot disk first, this approach should work if your startup files are bad, missing, corrupted, or the MBR is damaged.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/xpquick.txt
    This approach assumes you are running XP and the operating system is located on the C drive, among other things. The files included are a boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr.
    There is also this option that might set you on the road to recovery:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_Basic_d4019.html
    Just a few approaches I would try, before a repair install using a Windows disk, or using the Recovery Console. In any case I hope you resolve the issue, and learn something along the way.
    djb

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

When you get to the boot options menu by pressing F8, select "Last known good configuration" and see if that works. If not, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". This should prevent a reboot if/when the blue screen error appears. That way you can write down the details from the error like the error number, the message, any file names listed, etc. and post the info here. If you have your Windows install disc, you can perform a safe reload without risking your data. It's easy... just follow the steps at this link.

[dlb]
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds