Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 - Again

Discussion in 'Software' started by tempusfugit, May 3, 2014.

1. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Private E-2

System Info: I have an Asus G73S laptop, running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and
    Microsoft Word 2010 (14.0.7121.5004) SP2 MSO (14.0.7116.5000)
    Part of Microsoft Office Professional 2010

I installed MS Office 2010 when I first got this system up and running and all went well. Some months ago I started having a problem which I just put up with, then researched with no useful outcomes and kept on putting up with. Now I've researched it again and have a diagnosis, but don't know how to put it right.

So: initial problem. I found that when I tried to open Word 2010, I got a Windows Installer message box saying "Preparing to install" and then another saying "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Single Image 2010" and a bar underneath a line saying "Gathering required information". This would eventually get to the end, start another green line which quite rapidly got to the end and then Word would open, seemingly just as I wanted it. The whole process takes about 30 seconds - irritating but not impossible to live with if you don't keep needing to open different documents. When opening documents from Explorer the results appear the same whether I'm opening doc or docx version.

This happens whenever I start a new Word document from the Start menu, from the shortcut on the task bar or desktop, every time I try to open an exisiting document from Windows Explorer. The only exception is when I open a document from inside Word, when it comes up immediately.

This happens with Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Publisher but not OneNote

I came across lots of people who had part of the problem, in that they got the same message box that I did, but their versions of Word etc woudln't run at all and so I ignored the rest of that thread. Then I read through one of the posts answering the "Word won't start" post and spotted a suggestion (start the application from the original Winword.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\) and thought I would see what happened.

I got to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and there was no Winword.exe (or Excel ...) at all. So I went to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and there they all were. OK, so this is the 32-bit version of Office 2010 and that's where they should have been (I presume).

So then I went and did something I should have done earlier and checked the shortcuts in the Start-Programs list and on my desktop etc and found that on the "Shortcut" tab of the Properties sheet, the "Target" was listed as "Microsoft Office Single Image 2010" (though sort-of greyed out). Ditto desktop shortcuts etc Bingo!

I still don't know why, after it has tried - and seemingly succeeded - in "installing" Single Image 2010, what comes up is the correct Professional version of Word etc (I've checked the versions from the opened applications).

I do now know why the shortcuts are trying to start Microsoft Single Image 2010. I could even go through the (fairly few) desktop icons, even for the other 2 profiles on this system (which have the same problems) and correcting the "target" to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Winword.exe (etc).

However, a serious problem will remain, since I would still have the same 30 second delay when opening any documents from inside Windows Explorer.

Presumably this delay means that there is at least one misdirection somewhere inside the registry (or maybe more given that it tries the wrong thing and then gets the right one). Since I don't know where exactly that would be (possibly in different places for different applications) I'm reluctant to try DIY brain surgery on the registry. Since I don't want to lose lots of bits of customisation from auto text, spelling and grammar settings etc etc I'd rather not try the re-install route if there's a fairly simple registry hack which would restore the correct links.

Can someone point me at the bits of the registry which need altering and tell me whether I should be trying to alter the shortcuts on my desktop etc via the registry as well.

And - if it's not too risky - could I be told how to expunge the traces of "Microsoft Office Single Image 2010" from my system? Inside the "Uninstall or change a program" list in Control Panel" it lists only Microsoft Click-to-Run 2010 and Microsoft Office Professional 2010, so I can't just uninstall it from there.

If it's complicated, I'll just stick to the one simple problem of getting Word documents to start up in Winword.exe in the correct folder (and Excel - the rest are irrelevant given OneNote starts OK).

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What type of installer is this Office version is it off DVD or a digital download and if digital where did you download it from?

Did you try uninstalling Office completely then install it as admin, so right click the setup/install file and choose "Run as Administrator", you should not need this route but worth a try as you keep getting the prepare to install messages,

In normal usage you should not need to deal with the registry to fix Office, if you do you have issues with your version or 3rd party software installed and generally the issues what could affect Office are anti-virus/malware apps, so disable them and install Office and run in Safe Mode and see if Office works ok, that will then lead you to the issue is not with Office but a 3rd party app.

Also what HDD cleaner applications do you have installed as in CCleaner. WinPatrol etc?

3. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Private E-2

I confess I have been hoping to avoid a complete re-install of Office. I have an iso file and a product key, but am always afraid of losing my fairly extensive customisations. I'm beginning to think that may be the only route.

When I decided to do some preliminary recce work on the registry I found quite a lot of references to Word 8 (don't know which version that was) I probably had the starter version on this machine, but installed Office 2010 early on.

Just to clarify what happens, I've taken a set of screen dumps. They show the progress from double-clicking on a docx file in Explorer to getting it open in Word 2010 Pro. I have not missed out any message or dialog boxes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This whole procedure takes about 30 seconds. It follows the same pattern and timing for .doc files and also for Excel files and other Office applications. The links I turned up via Google mostly seemed to be people having a similar problem (trying to open Single Image 2010) with Outlook. That usually ended in failure since Outlook is different. I don't use Outlook, so I didn't pursue that line of enquiry.

I'm wondering about running winword /r, but can't see any detailed description of that switch, nor any details about what might go wrong.

I have also not tried re-installing office, since I don't know what settings I would risk losing - so that's a last resort type of measure.

I've got CCleaner which I have used.

4. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Private E-2

P.S. Version of office at top of OP.

5. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

Tempus fugit - Have you found a solution to this problem? I've been living with it for about a year. On occasion, I try to find a solution without success. At one point i uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 10 without eliminating the problem.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

quote]I right-clicked on Command Prompt, under Start Programs, Accessories, and Ran as Administrator, from my admin account.
    Then I did the following command:
    "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" without the quotes
    Then I rebooted and all seems to be working just fine for now.[/quote]
    Source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...onal-plus-configures-each-time-i-launch-fixed
    about the 14th post down.

7. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

In the cmd that was specified are there any spaces in "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" ? Or is it all the characters without spaces?

I tried it and it didn't change anything!

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Winword switches:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210565

Out of curiosity, under c:\users do you have multiple accounts related to your user name?

On another note, go to the registry and dial down to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

Do you have a DWORD named NoRereg?

if not, try adding a DWORD (32bit) named NoRereg set that as 1.

See if that helps.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since I do not have Office 2010 installed (we have Office 2000, 2003 and 2007 and Word Perfect Suite 6, 7 and X6) I had to depend on what I saw posted and not something I could actually try.

The 6 locations where I've crudely put red marks are spaces
    [​IMG]

10. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

Eureka! Theefool's suggestion:
    ..adding "a DWORD (32bit) named NoRereg set that as 1" WORKED! Hooray.

Now for Excel. When i open Excel 2010 I first get the message "One of your object libararies (|) is missing or damaged. Please run Setup to install it." It then goes into the install program that Windows went through before i made the above change.

Thanks.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Awesome.

Now next problem. You could try to uninstall "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010". Then test to see if excel works.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  12. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

My list of programs does not include "Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010"

I do have Access installed. When i tried to open it went to the Install...Single Image...routine.

Next? Appreciate your help.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

You could try the same thing with excel, etc. Just add that key. Cross your fingers.

Essentially:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\excel\Options
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\access\Options

etc..

14. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

Sadly, the addition of the key to Excel didn't work. When I go to cancel the "single image" error message, excel pops open without hesitation. Mmm.

Also, there is no Option folder in Access.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

16. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

Just getting back to this problem. Word is all fixed. Thank you again. Excel remains the problem.

Your last posting suggested i try
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpos...45&postcount=2
    I went there and then went to view MS Office in the uninstall/change window in the Control Panel. Eureka. I could not find MS Office anywhere.
    I took out the program disk and used it to "fix" Office.
    It put the program back onto the list of CP programs but did not fix the opening of Excel.
    Now when i open excel I get the attached two error messages. Oddly enough when and if I cancel either message, the program loads and works.
    What's next?

Attached Files:

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Shamefully using the following from a microsoft site:

1. From "Programs and Features" select Office 2010 and click "Change".
    2. Make Excel unavailable.
    3. Start the registry editor and remove any references to Excel underneath:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel
    4. Browse through the HKEY_USERS tree and remove all references to Excel underneath:

• HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel
    • HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel
    • HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel
    • HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel
    • HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel
    • HKEY_USER\<guid>\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel
    5. Change the Office 2010 installation again, adding Excel.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ssing-or/cf3e3acc-ad69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you are not on a 64bit system, then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\etc.... should be okay.

19. zman1000

zman1000 Private E-2

Followed the latest suggestions and still have the same problem with Excel. I even went a step further. I deleted almost all of the regedit references to Excel and reinstalled and repaired Excel and still no change.
    Appreciate your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds