"Folder is Empty" during file transfer to Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by GStam66, Sep 27, 2014.

1. GStam66

GStam66 Private First Class

Hey everyone. Got myself a new Windows 8 Dell Venue 11 tablet, and i'm trying to transfer all my files over to it. I took em off my old laptop and threw em onto a Seagate 1TB external hard drive. I've been able to transfer a bunch of files and folders over successfully, but recently files have been randomly disappearing, and the folders I've transferred over are now claiming to be empty. It's getting really aggravating because i'll transfer the files over, they'll be there after 10 minutes, but I'll check the folder 20 minutes later and it's magically empty. Nothing I do gets them to appear again. There's no error message or anything. Some of the pictures act up too, either jpegs not loading or gifs not playing.
    I've transferred these files to other computers with no issues, and other folders on the tablet are all working fine.
    Google hasn't helped much, so I was hoping someone here had a solution? Thanks!

2. GStam66

interesting, now the "empty folders" are showing up as blank files (little sheet of white paper). I tried scanning the 128GB micro SD card I'm using for storage on the tablet and everything shows ok. Gonna try reformatting it and post an update.

3. GStam66

Did the reformat, scanned it with HD tune and everything showed good to go. Was able to transfer a few more folders over, but I'm starting to get the "folder is empty" crap again. :mad:

4. GStam66

New update:
    Since HD Tune didnt find anything, I tried Testdisk. Initial information said the SD card was 134GB (odd), and the next screen said "Bad Relative Sector". I kept going to try and scan deeper for more info and got this screen:

Attached Files:

5. GStam66

finally got the scan results, but now its asking me about partitions and id rather not mess with those without getting some guidance first:

Attached Files:

6. GStam66

sorry to keep posting so much, but now i'm getting mad. I just checked the external hard drive that I backed up the files from the tablet to so they don't disappear, and now theyre disappearing on the hard drive too. only the files I took from the tablet. This doesnt make any damn sense. :cry

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try a 64GB or smaller SD card.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-venue-11-pro/pd

8. GStam66

Hey, sorry I shouldve mentioned its the 11 Pro, and can handle up to the 128GB Micro SD.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-venue-11-pro/pd

I'm trying to run Recuva now to see if it can recover files from the specific folders that keep deleting their contents. Malwarebytes hasn't reported any issues, nor has HD Tune. Really at a loss for what the Hell is going on here.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

That's the same link I provided and I still see nothing about a 128GB SD card, just the part I quoted about a 64GB SD card.

10. GStam66

A little more than halfway down the page:

Performance you can count on

Do more and plug-in less: Powerful and efficient processors ranging from Quad Core Intel® Atom™ to the ultrapowerful Intel Core™ i5 processors. These offer the perfect balance, boosting application performance and delivering extended battery life.

Remotely manage and update your laptops with optional next-generation Intel® vPro™ technology3.

Update once and update everywhere with Dell-unique Intel® vPro™ extensions for remote BIOS management and hard drive wipe, even when systems are offline.

Give your productivity a boost: Connect multiple monitors with the optional Dell tablet dock, plug straight into your network for faster speeds and transfer files faster with USB 3.0.

Multitask like you mean it: The innovative Windows 8.1 operating system powers your current, Windows 7 and Windows XP applications, so multitasking is a snap.

Quicker access: With up to 256GB of internal storage and 128GB4of expandable micro SD memory you’ll get generous file storage and quick transfer times.Or choose the Full sized USB key to attach any USB external storage solution.

I did my research before buying the tablet, and this is the same SD card Ive been using since July, with no issues. The files I've saved there from this tablet are intact. These problems started happening when I was transferring the files over from my old laptop. Whether I use the external hard drive, or just transfer them over Wifi, i get the same issues. The files are all completely intact on the old laptop though. Did full virus/malware scans on both, nothing there. Recuva is still running so I should hopefully have some info soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. GStam66

Recuva finished. 5 hours, and it returned nothing. Claimed to find 29000 files (there were probably only 1-200), but when it was done there was nothing to be recovered. I'm pissed.

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Plug the SD card into your laptop, transfer the files, then put it in your tablet. Try a different brand SD card, if you can.

Also, I would contact Dell support with your serial# and make sure they didn't somehow shortchange you with a model that doesn't support 128GB SD cards. Mix ups happen.

13. GStam66

Trying to get my hands on a MicroSD card that's big enough to transfer the files. Ordered 2 64gb's for less than half the price of a new 128GB. I'll contact Dell too to see if they can get me a straight answer.

14. GStam66

Code:

Dell said the 128GB card is the max the tablet can use. Just waiting on the new card to come in now. Seems that only the files that went to the card, or went to the card and came back to the external hard drive are disappearing.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

16. GStam66

Tried using a brand new 64GB Micro SD card, popped it into my old laptop and started transferring the files directly onto it. Got a few folders onto it and what do you know, they started disappearing/emptying their contents. Formatted it and tried again, still have some folders showing as empty now.

I'm completely baffled and pissed at how this issue keeps happening.

17. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

How big are they and how is your SD card formatted?

18. GStam66

How big are the cards? 64GB and 128GB. Formatted em as both exFat and NTFS. Same results either way. The files/folders themselves vary in size. Overall, i'm trying to get about 20GB worth of data to stay on the damn card.

I'm starting to think that somethings messed up with the files, even though they work fine on the original laptop and external hard drive. It seems whenever they get saved to a memory card that's when they start disappearing and corrupting themselves.

19. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I was wondering if the cards might have been Fat32 as there can be issues with file size. With exFAT or NTFS, that wouldn't be an issue, though. What happens when you put the files directly on the tablet's drive?

Do you have a different SD card lying about? One you've used reliably in the past? I'm wondering about the cards you have.

20. GStam66

I tried my backup phone sd card, a 16gb, and the same disappearing act happened.

Transferring them from my laptop to my tablet's hard drive via wifi works, or transferring using the external hard drive works, I just don't have enough space on the tablet's hard drive for everything.

21. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

How are you transferring the files?

22. GStam66

I tried a bunch of different ways. Laptop to tablet's sd card over wifi, laptop to external hd to tablet's sd card, laptop to sd card while it was in the laptop. All of em had the same result, once the files touched an sd card they started disappearing or not displaying properly.

23. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Right click on the bad file and what are it's properties?

24. GStam66

Attached is what the empty folder winds up turning into:

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds