Reset Settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by tblue, Apr 11, 2005.

1. tblue

tblue Corporal

I recently did a reformat on my mom's computer. Everything came out alright but her settings are not normal. Her desktop looks like its in safe mode and when you browse the internet its all screwed up. The font is strange, the web page colors are not normal.The page takes up her whole screen but you can only see half the page(does that make sense...lol) I've tried every setting that I can find...nothing seems to work :confused: She's running Win98SE...... Any suggestions???
    Thanks,
    T.Blue

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you tried the settings in display ??? if you feel confident and the motherboard has a CMOS Jumper setting short pin it , to do that move the jumper from the two it is on onto the one that is not ,of course including the midle one. and leave for a a few seconds then reverse.. if no CMOS jumper settings are there take out the silver round battery for about a minute and replace. Make sure com is unplugged (power lead) and ground yourself to remove any static from you.. this will in effect send the Motherboard back to factory settings.. Good luck :)

3. tblue

tblue Corporal

Yes I've tried that...no luck.

As for the rest of your post I would no doubt probably screw something up....lol.
    Any other suggestions????

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Most likely you dont have a full graphics driver installed and only running on the basic one that win98 installs.

If you dont know which graphics card is installed in the PC then download this softwareEVEREST install it and click Computer > Summary and under Graphics Adapter it will tell you the manufacturer... then goto that manufacturer and download the latest driver for your card.

5. tblue

tblue Corporal

Thanks for the info. I downloaded a video driver from Gateway, it seems to be looking alot better. Do you think I still nedd to download from the site you recommended??
    Thanks,
    T.Blue

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No if Gateways latest GFX driver works ok then you'll be fine...

The link is to a Everest a program which allows you to see what hardware etc is installed in your or any PC .... makes it easy on systems you dont know to find info about that PC, its a great diagnostic tool.

7. tblue

tblue Corporal

One more thing is her pages on the internet all have a scroll bar on the bottom. I'm used to one on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    but the one on the bottom is really aggravating. She can live with it but I know it's not right. Any other suggestions????
    Thanks,
    T.Blue

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds