Avira Antivir Personal Update download problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Faith007, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Faith007

Faith007 Private E-2

For the past month it has been impossible for me to manually download the updates for Avira Antivir Personal Antivirus program. The screen just freezes when I try to do so. I went to the Avira forum and there were a number of posts from people having the same problem, but the only answer I saw was to keep trying at a later time. Well, I've been doing that for 3 weeks now.
    In view of the number of posts on the Avira forum, I'm surprised not to see any posts about it in this forum.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?
    The updates worked just fine until about 3 weeks ago.
    My O/S is Win XP Home
    Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I have moved your thread to software.

3. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hey Q, MajorGeeks hosts Avira and other A/V updates too ya know ;)

Faith, the other people with this problem, are they on XP too and do they have the same freeze as you?

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

:eek:

Google failed me..... i will never forgive her :(

[i have just slapped myself on the wrist too]

edit: maybe one of the powers that be could edit my post for me, and add the appropriate link?

6. Faith007

Faith007 Private E-2

But I'd like the convenience of doing it through the app itself.
    Yes, they're on XP and the freeze is the same for many of them.

7. Faith007

Faith007 Private E-2

8. Faith007

Faith007 Private E-2

I just uninstalled it, downloaded and installed the latest version and did an update with no problems. I figured that would be the easiest way to fix the problem, even though it doesn't tell me what actually went wrong.

9. nuz2me

nuz2me Private E-2

Faith I just thought I'd ask you a question or two. I have heard GREAT things about the Avira Antivirus but like you I am unable to download it. I have tried many many times and I get as far as the registration and it freezes. It looks as though kit should be downloaded EXCEPT for the registration sooooo my question to you is how would I uninstall it if I don't know that it installed?????? Thanks in advance

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

nuz2me, welcome.
    Go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    and click the new thread button on the left near the top.
    Start your own thread telling everyone what version of windows you are running and a link from where you tried to download Avira when your computer freezes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds