Laptop zapped...is it totally dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giz2000, May 27, 2009.

1. giz2000

giz2000 Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario V6305NR laptop. It's about 2 years old. Yesterday, I left the house for about an hour to run a short errand - I was working on my computer and left it on (plugged in to the wall - not a surge protector - mistake #1). During the time I was out, a fast moving, but nasty electrical storm appeared out of nowhere and when I got home, my laptop was dead. I can plug it in, and there's a blue light where the plug goes into the computer, but the little lightning bolt light in the front of the computer blinks a few times and then dies. I tried removing and reinserting the battery. The blue lightning bolt stayed lit for about 1 minute, then died. I am thinking the motherboard is fried. Is it worth having it fixed? I did back everything up except for some new music files - I also have something in the CD drive that I need to get out. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try taking the battery out and then with no batter connected just plug in the power cable, see if that sparks the system into life.

3. giz2000

giz2000 Private E-2

I tried that...the computer came to life for about 10 seconds..and then fizzled out again. If I plug in the a/c adapter, the blue power light comes on and stays on, but nothing else happens...*sigh*

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

the adapter could have gone bad, can you get another one to try it out?

5. giz2000

giz2000 Private E-2

I could try that...the adapter was new too..argh!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds