XP system restore and system file checker won't work; help !

Discussion in 'Software' started by squiggles, Mar 11, 2005.

1. squiggles

squiggles Private E-2

I was having trouble manually updating my av software.(auto update seems to work ok)The update would hang and then I would an error message saying " Error occured while downloading update package; such errors often occur due to system errors." Then it prompted me to reboot and try download again. I did that several times, but with no such luck.I did an up to date av scan and spyware scans from three different engines, but they all came up clear. I contacted my av vendor and they proceeded to instruct me to delete a bunch of cache and temp files, cookies, blah,blah,blah. They also sent me a set of other instructions which included running the built-in system file checker; but when I try to run it, I get an error saying " Cannot find file sfc/scannow, make sure you type it correctly and try again." I also tried several system restore points, of which none will take.(never had an issue with system restore before) My pc seems to be running fine;so far. (knock on wood), but it would definitely be nice to know that I have those tools (system restore, sfc) if I need them in a pinch. I am thoroughly confused here. Any help you could send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is a space between sfc and /scannow.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

System Restore is very basic.

It's better than nothing, but I wouldn't rely on it.

If you want something better, try GoBack.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm a real fan of GoBack.

I dunno how it reacts to NTFS filesystems, but for Fat32, it changes the partition table to type 44 from type 0B, so if the program ever stops working, the OS can't read the filesystem.

Neat, huh? :rolleyes:

We saw handfuls of people upgrading, or even clean installing from Windows 98/ME and having their secondary drives missing from My Computer, and the OS unable to assign a drive letter.

I'd go with Acronis well before I'd touch something like GoBack.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I've been using GoBack since it's inception by WildFile years ago.

I've used it on FAT32 and currently on NTFS and never had a problem.

Several of my friends use it also who aren't very computer literate, and they have never had a problem either.

It's so "dangerous", that manufacturers like Gateway install it on their machines to limit tech support calls. (note sacarism)

Using the above logic, let's not use Windows because that too behaves strangely sometimes. :rolleyes:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, it can all be googled and the truth be told.

I'll not argue with you over something irrelevant. Lets all stay on subject, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

squiggles, does System Restore work if you make a restore point now, and then restore back?

8. Carden Works

Carden Works Private E-2

Hi Squiggles,
    System Restore was one of the things that was not working on my computer. (The other was the Recycle Bin.) Some kind person here directed me to:
    DO NOT POST UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS: How to: Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal
    http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I printed out the instructions, and followed it all. Now my System Restore and Recycle Bin are working.

Just passing along what helped me.
    Sandra
    Carden Works

9. squiggles

squiggles Private E-2

Can't connect to the internet in safe mode to do online scans; oh boy !!! :rolleyes:

10. robdude

robdude Private E-2

sys restore is ok pull off your vital data onto to cd or dvd but you must with sys restore if you run it manually make your own restore points as it cant always be trusted to do it for you.
    go back is better than sys restore depends on your budget.
    rob uk gamer :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds