Help needed before upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Konundrum, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Konundrum

Konundrum Private E-2

I need to upgrade my video card but the card im thinking about buying is a PCI Express card and i dont know if my comp is compatible with it. How can I check to see if it is.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. Konundrum

Konundrum Private E-2

sorry about that...i knew i needed to add more information but i was a little tired after i typed it. Anyway, my current vid card is a nvidia 5900 XT OC, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, no clue on the mobo. Any help is appreciated.

Just downloaded one of the programs that tells me my mobo name and it's a ASUS A7N8X-LA with 3 PCI and 1 AGP expansion slots and I have a gig of ram.

4. Konundrum

Konundrum Private E-2

And i don't mean to be a pest but if i cant run this PCI express card can someone suggest a better card than the one I have cuz I really have to buy a new card.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm not sure if I understand you properly, but if you have an AGP slot only, then you won't be able to run a PCI Xpress card.

Easiest way is to download Everest via Adrynalyne's link, and post the log as an attachment. (don't copy and paste, only attach it)

Someone can check it for you and tell you your options.

6. Konundrum

Konundrum Private E-2

here ya go. Hope this is what you need

Attached Files:

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Your motherboard is AGP only, so if you want to upgrade your video card you will need an AGP one.

To use PCI Xpress you need a PCI Xpress motherboard, which yours is not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds