Java 7 vs. Java 8?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparktank, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Sparktank

Sparktank Private E-2

So I tried to search and didn't find any answers.

I'm on Windows 7 x64. And everyone else I know is at least on Win7 x64.

I haven't been able to find any real answers for end users like my friends, my family, and myself.
    Most documentation out there is largely aimed towards developers.

I use Firefox and Google Chrome for my browsers (never MS IE).
    I don't think any of the two I use are x64 browsers.
    I use JDownloader (sometimes).
    I play Minecraft a lot.

I can't think of anything else that uses Java.

Does it matter at all if I remove 7 entirely and simply use 8?
    What do I lose?

I uninstalled 7 before (both x86 & x64) and ran a verify test at the Java site and it told me to install 7.
    I installed 7 and it said I had the latest version installed and didn't need to update (it showed me I had 8 installed).
    I got so confused and so lost trying to run isolated tests on all the versions with all browsers and gave up and just installed both 7 and 8.

So far, Minecraft can play using any version if I set it to in the configuration.
    What is the real story behind 7 and 8?

I'd like to know, as an end-user, so I can better tell my friends, also end-users, how they should update. Some of them will update on their own, but I usually keep them updated on a lot of the core elements: Java, Adobe Flash, web browsers, security programs.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I have used JRE 8 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) since the day it was released, and it works perfectly fine with the few applications that use it.

4. plodr

But it is beta which means it is not guaranteed to work for everyone. When it is ready, it will be released to everyone.
    I rarely install beta releases on my heavy use computers.

5. Sparktank

Sparktank Private E-2

Ah, okay. That explains a lot.
    Thanks for the info! :cool

I'll (and others'll) remove 8 and stick with 7 for the time being until 8 becomes largely stable enough to be on the official site.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Java 8 is not beta.

7. plodr

Then why does Java's site say this?
    I suspect the OP is not a Java developer. It sure smells like a beta to me since developers are testing it and end users have to search to find a download for it.

8. captcha

captcha Private E-2

As Adrynalyne has already stated, it is not beta. Oracle always does this with major point releases to be super extra cautious. I've yet to come across a problem running them from day one.

If you want to call it anything, call it an RTM release. Perfectly safe to use.

9. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Also, the java.com website is always behind with issuing releases; sometimes by several versions.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I googled: "java 8 download"

First hit was the developer version:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Second was the end user JRE:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

We are already 11 updates in.

I suspect Java.com points to j7u65 because Java 7 is considered the most stable, with potential programs breaking on 8 (Android hates it).

For the most part, Java 8 is just developer brain-candy anyway (has some really nice additions for us). You probably won't see major performance differences, at least not for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  11. plodr

Thanks.
    Since I removed Java from the only computer running it, it doesn't impact me. I just post the updates for others and the last was 7 u65.

I just got my first android device (running KitKat). I hesitate to ask, do I have Java in there? If so, I just switched my headache from a computer to my tablet!

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, android is java and compiled xml. Not sure why it would be a problem shift though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds