How to Close 'Program Name Already Running' & delete associated Junique folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by LA_Cyn, Jul 17, 2014.

1. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Hello,

I'm been trying to delete a folder that installed itself on my computer called .junique (I'm running Win7). I never installed it & I don't know where it came from. I was recently updating to a newer version of a lead scraping software application, & when I delete the old & tried to start the new, it says it's already running (this has been going on for several months, prior to that I could update fine. Now I just have to stick with the older, outdated version because the newer versions will not open due to it saying the program is already running).

The developers told me to delete the .junique folder, but every time I delete it, reboot, & re-start the latest version of the software, the folder just comes right back with a current time stamp! :confused It seems the folder is attaching itself to the software. I read here that it is mainly intended to prevent a user from running simultaneous instances of the same Java application. Does anybody have an idea how to permanently remove it?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Cynthia

P.S. The software developers say the problem is only happening on my computer.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

hey buddy, when I need to stop a stubborn program I go to the TaskManager and kill the Process, then I search for the file and I right click and choose Privazers" Delete without A Trace" option from the context menu. You can get Privazer here :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/privazer.html

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  4. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

I've killed the process in the Task Manager, but when I open the new version of the software, the process is no longer running in the Task Manager (even though it says the program is already running). So I can't find the process to shut it down.

Btw, the software is sort of a souped up Google scraper & pulls info from a lot of other places (Facebook, reviews, deal sites, PPC, etc) to build lists of local businesses.

5. rustysavage

:-D When you said "Lead" scraping software, I thought you were referring to the metal. I couldn't imagine what sort of software one would need to scrape a lead pipe or the like. Anyways, as for your problem, I'm still not clear what you're trying to do and exactly what the problem is. Tell me if this is it: You want to completely uninstall the older version of the program and then install the newest version, but not everything is getting uninstalled (specifically the .junique folder), which is apparently preventing the newly installed version from executing properly. Is that close?

6. rustysavage

I read the JUnique Manual along with the linked documents but they are obviously and unfortunately intended for Java programmers, which I am not. It seems likely that the installed Java Runtime keeps track of the Junique directories and simply recreates them when it loads. Do you know which version of Java you are running on your system? Perhaps upgrading to the most current version would help. Or perhaps you have more than one version installed and that's causing the problem. You could try uninstalling them using a Java removal app called JavaRA, then install the most current version (which I believe is v7.x build 65, or maybe v8.0 is out of beta).

Download JavaRA: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/javara.html

While you're at it, you might want to uninstall the lead scraping app as well, then reinstall it while Java is off your system altogether, and then install the Java. It's just a thought; I have no idea if it would work.

7. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Rustysavage,

That is EXACTLY what the problem is! The nearly 70 MB application does not install in the program files, so I cannot delete it that way. I have to put it in the trash.

I made a Jing video to show the exact steps I go through - from opening the application to installing the latest version (which I already downloaded & is on my desktop in a zipped file). These are the SAME steps I have done since I've had it (for about a year). It's always worked up until version 2.01. I've tried leaving the old version on the desktop & just allowing the newest version to replace it, but then nothing works, so I have to restore version 2.0 for it to work. Version 2.0 DOES work, but it's just an older, now outdated version. Here is the video: http://screencast.com/t/4I3A7xHIahc

I've deleted the .junique folder & files inside (several times). As soon as I try to open the latest version of the software, the folder reappears. Here is the video: http://screencast.com/t/eKoo6OIo

You can see in the video that I delete the Junique folder, empty the trash (it is actually gone from Gateway User, but I forgot to show it), open up LK ver 2.0, delete it, unzip ver 2.05, & the Junique folder has reappeared with a time stamp a few minutes later. It seems to be attached somehow to the latest versions of the sofware. I've had this same "Already Running" issue since version 2.01, now we are on version 2.08.

P.S. I have only one version of Java on my computer. I made sure to uninstall before I updated to the most recent Java version 7 update 55.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

JavaRA is useless. I say that from personal experience when I wiped Java from an XP computer about a week ago.
    First I tried to locate the Java removal tool on Java's site. After running around in circles I got tired of that.
    Next I ran JavaRA. It said it removed Java yet update 51 and 55 were still showing when I ran Revo.
    Last I ran Revo Uninstaller. It took me a long, long time because there were 2,230 registry entries! It takes a long time to click all those entries.

The very last thing I had to do was remove the Java icon from the Control Panel because nothing took care of that. I located what it was called JAVACPL.CPL in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and erased it from the computer. The cancer, Java, is now off of the only computer that had it installed.

Bottom line: to be sure you remove it, use RevoUninstaller.

9. plodr

10. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

I believe so, but I never installed it. The software uses Java to run, so if I uninstall it, it won't work (& I was recently charged for my yearly renewal). The developers say out of thousands of users, I'm the only one having this problem. :(

11. rustysavage

I had exactly the same experience earlier today when I decided (again) to rid my system of Java since I still don't use any apps that depend on it to run. I ran JavaRA which showed that I had updates 45 & 55 installed. RevoUninstaller showed that I had 2 additional updates installed (60 & 65). I ran JavaRA to remove updates 45 & 55 and was informed that the operations were successful, yet the updates reappeared in JavaRA, and remained as large entries in RevoUninstaller (suggesting that they did not get removed). I then went through the same tedious but successful process of removing all 4 updates using RevoUninstaller. And still JavaRA shows that I have updates 45 & 55 installed. I apologize for suggesting that anyone use this worthless app.

Bottom line: Ditto plodr. Use RevoUninstaller

12. rustysavage

LA_Cyn, thank you for the videos. Unfortunately, I don't fully follow what you're doing. For one thing, it appears that you are attempting to uninstall Lead Kahuna (LK) by dragging the desktop shortcut to the Recycle Bin. I don't think that such an operation deletes the program, just the shortcut. Try using RevoUninstaller to uninstall LK. Even then, I don't think that a successful uninstall of LK alone is going to solve your problem. My guess is that you will also need to uninstall all Java updates (again using RevoUninstaller) prior to installing the newest version of LK. I don't know how else to get around the .Junique folder lock dilemma. Once LK is successfully installed you can reinstall Java (probably best to install the latest version). I don't see that you have anything to lose by trying this ad-hoc method.

13. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Rustysavage,

For over a year I've always deleted the software application by putting it in the trash. It does not install in my program files. You can see in the video when I unzip the nearly 70 MB file that it installs on the Desktop. The LK icon on the desktop is NOT a shortcut, it's the actual application.

I will try your & plodr suggestion of using RevoUninstaller. It can't hurt. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

14. rustysavage

Thank you for humoring me. Please keep us posted as to the results of this experiment and I'll keep researching the problem.

15. plodr

From my reading it is part of Java, something to do with jdownloader, so I'm not sure you can eliminate it unless you get rid of Java. If you need Java, clearing removing it is not a solution for you.

16. rustysavage

I'm merely suggesting that LA_Cyn remove Java temporarily, only long enough to uninstall old LK followed by installation of new LK. Java could then be added back to the system.

17. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

Well...I installed RevoUninstaller & interestingly, LK is not listed as installed. (As I mentioned, it does not install in my program files at all, but sits on my desktop.) I uninstalled Java using RevoUninstaller (there were some earlier bits still on my computer), tried to open the latest version of the LK software, & it said I needed Java to open it. I reinstalled the latest Java update, tried to open the latest version of LK, & once again it says it's "already running." :banghead

18. rustysavage

Sorry, I got nothing. Can't ascertain anything more about the .Junique applet that hasn't already been discussed in here. While Googling, I ended up at some Java programming sites that discussed it in more detail but the info was very technical (intended for programmers) and clearly assumed that the reader already had knowledge of exactly how the applet locked host programs.:tas

Just curious, do you know what informs you that LK is "already running"? Is it LK, or Windows, or Java?

19. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

That I don't know. I'm assuming it's something in the Junique folder (since that prevents multiple instances of Java being run at the same time), but it could be LK.:confused

I'm trying to contact the developer of that Junique program & see if he might have any suggestions. He is from Italy, so it may be awhile for him to get back to me. In the mean time, I'll just have to try to use it in it's very limited capacity.

Thanks for your help.:)

20. LA_Cyn

LA_Cyn Private E-2

In reading some Java forums (I am no programmer & don't even understand how it works), it seems the problem may be that the JVM temporary file is not automatically getting deleted when I close LK, & I would have to use the deleteOnExit() method. Whatever that means! :confused I deleted the temp files in Java (incl the 'Applications and Applets') & it deleted LK into the trash! But that still didn't solve the problem.:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds