Obscure Windows 7 closing options

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcsmc, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

So I just wanted to share this small but interesting surprise I found... I decided to experiment and press ALT+F4 while the desktop was the "active window" in Windows 7... and this is what appeared! I'm sure a lot of you probably already knew about this, but I sure didn't.

[​IMG]

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Ain't it great to learn! ;)

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes! Speaking of learning, any ideas as to free online resources for learning about Group Policy and Windows' "hidden" logs of user activity, etc.? Google hasn't been much help with these.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Really weird. :confused
    Alt+F4 didn't do anything, for me, using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. :cry

Bazza

===

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

All windows closed first?

6. Caliban

I'd start with Microsoft.

And, to quote MS, ALT+F4 = "Close the active item, or exit the active program" - if the desktop's the active program, Explorer closes, and we all know what that means.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Just click the "show desktop" button (the bit of Taskbar to the RIGHT of the clock/date display in the VERY bottom right corner of your screen), then (without clicking anything else), simply press ALT+F4. Bam!;)

You can have all sorts of things open, as long as the Desktop is the active "window" when you press ALT+F4.

Could you give me a link or two? That's like me asking you where I can get gas, and you telling me to start with Texas. :-D

8. Caliban

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

mcsmc,

That works ! :-D :cool

Bazza

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Thanks! Any ideas on the activity logs?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds