Anybody tried MDG?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrPewty, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

My daughter is thinking of buying a laptop from MDG Computers. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the outlet.

I am going to get the specs and I'll post them here for opinions later today.

Thanks

2. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

This is about $900 Canadian. Anyone see any glaring problems with using this at school? Normal internet and music/movies use too.

Hardware

Intel® Celeron® 440 Processor (1MB Cache/1.86GHz/533MHz FSB)
    Genuine Microsoft® Windows®
    15 inch XGA Display
    1GB Memory SDRAM at 533MHz
    80GB - 5400RPM - Serial ATA Hard Drive
    DVD Burner - Make your own movies!
    3D Video
    35 WHR 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Essentials

No Productivity Software Selected
    No High Speed Internet Service Selected
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
    3D Audio Pro Sound
    No Monitor Selected
    No Bluetooth Connectivity Selected
    Susen Notebook Carrying Case
    No Additional Battery Selected
    Accessories

No Portable Storage Device Selected
    No Keyboard & Mouse Selected
    No Networking Device Selected
    No Printer Selected
    No Speakers Selected
    No Digital Camera Selected
    MDG Protection

Standard Warranty
    No Protection Software Selected

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've no experience with MDG though I looked through their site a while ago and found that their prices were too high for what you get and I couldn't find out exactly what was in the boxes or even the brand of LCD monitor or drives etc. Plus they have to pay for all the adds they've been buying on TV recently. Check out ncix.com PC Configurator if you're not up to building your own, it's in your neck of the woods and I've had a good time with their service, they also have a forum where users are allowed to comment on products, good or bad.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see 'Laptop' in your post. :embarrassed

4. muffins

muffins Private E-2

Actually our comp is thru MDG....i would not reccomend this, our comp with burners and printer cost 1700.00 and in the end we will pay back 2300.00. Not only that but our tower has blown twice and had to be shipped out for repair and our screen has blown once, all in 2 years. Now that our warrenty is up no one will help us when we have major comp trouble and we continue to have it. If i could do it all over again i would def. not go with MDG. Hopefully u can find another route for comp purchase. Not worth all our time, money and effort.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

So your computer got blown up because its made by mdg? Likely your problem is more over caused by local conditions, house wiring and what not. You can't fault a manufactor for stuff like that. Just keep things fair when asked about companies. Let you could/should talk about how difficult the replacement process was? Were they quick to help/rma? Questions like that and so on. Please remember to keep things fair in your reviews.

6. muffins

muffins Private E-2

you are right, i wasn't very fair...they are qucik to send comp out and in the beginning tech support was very helpful but in other words after the first 6 mnths we did have a hard time recieving help for our tech probs and we feel like when speaking with their support team we have a hard time getting our solution. I would personally not reccomend this route.

7. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks everybody. I haven't decided yet so if there are more posters with comments they will be welkome.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

See thats much more helpful muffins. As far as the laptop sounds fairly decent for school. One recommendation i make to most students is some sort of external drive/storage. That way they can keep stuff backed up, and if the laptop is stolen or missing, they can at least still have copies of the school work/documents and critical stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds